PDA

View Full Version : Differential Pressure Sensors

Kirk Feldkamp
04-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Hi everyone,

I've done a bit of searching for a robust differential pressure sensor for use in automotive applications, but haven't been able to find anything that really inspires any confidence. Most of the sensors I have found are intended for board-style mounting (exposed contacts), and are not necessarily designed for the automotive environment. Basically, I'm trying to find a small(ish) sensor with a waterproof connector, that is both relatively inexpensive and can put up with temperature/vibration. If anyone has a good source for something like this, or another method to get a simple differential or ratio signal from two seperate sensors, then I'd love to hear it. I would think Bosch, Delphi, or Delco would have something for a 15psi or 30psi differential range. Basically, I want to look at the differential pressure between the intake and exhaust manifolds for a turbo application.

Thoughts?

-Kirk

Jersey Tom
04-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Have you tried Pi or Motec?

fixitmattman
04-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Omega.com

jd74914
04-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Look into Sensata. They make pressure sensors for a variety of automotive applications.

Links take too long to get approved here to search Google for "differential pressure sensor Sensta" to get to their website. Their DPS Series sensor, more specifically P/N 1 MPP2-2, has a 0-100kPaD range which should suit you perfectly.

Chapo
04-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Honeywell make some aircraft grade sensors that we use on our car, they work well and are only around 80 AUD a piece.

hope it helps

TMichaels
04-28-2010, 01:31 AM
Bosch Motorsport also has some. Usually these are also available without motorsport branding as production car parts for 1/5 of the price.

http://www.bosch-motorsport.co...guage2/html/2865.htm (http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/content/language2/html/2865.htm)

Regards,

Tobi

PatClarke
04-28-2010, 03:32 AM
Kirk,

Most modern Diesels with catalysed particulate filters have differential pressure sensors so the ecu can sense catalyst clogging and initiate regeneration.

Pat

Ockham
04-28-2010, 06:29 AM
Have a look at Honeywell's MLH-series pressure sensors (probably the same thing Chapo is suggesting). They come with a good variety of connections, including 1/8NPT male and other common styles, with a media-isolated element and stainless housing, mating with a weather-tight Metripack P2S connector. Try the search term "Honeywell MLH" on DigiKey. You can get the connectors from Ballenger Motorsports (item #CONN-75563, $4.49ea.).

Mikey Antonakakis
04-28-2010, 09:46 AM
If money is no object, contact Kulite.

Gaanja
04-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Delphi has good ones too..

Mbirt
04-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Find the guy on the Baja or Snowmobile team with a late-model Cummins, Duramax, or Powerstroke and tell him you'll help him make his truck "roll coal". Then scrap his DOC (1st catalyst) and DPF (2nd emissions device, traps soot). As PatClarke stated, there's a nice delta-P sensor with lines running to the inlet and outlet of the DPF.

Now you're up a few benjamins from scrapping the emissions devices and you've got yourself a delta-P sensor. Your baja/snowmobile team pal can do what he's always desired to do with that $50k truck: spew particulate matter to his heart's content.

VFR750R
04-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Kistler

They specialize in automotive testing sensors. They have some great sensors including cylinder pressure measurement.