PDA

View Full Version : steering rack

OspreysGoSWOOP
01-07-2011, 06:35 AM
We are a new team in Florida. Our steering is already designed but we do not have the capability to manufacture a rack yet. We have searched high and low for one that suits our design but to no avail. Does anyone have a 3:1 rack for trade/sale? Or does anyone know a place that sells them? Thanks

Adambomb
01-07-2011, 08:21 AM
I'm a big fan of the Stiletto/Woodhaven Industries racks. Pretty sure it's a smaller operation, but they are very nice, reasonably priced, and excellent service. No website, you'll have to call him like in the olden days.

Woodhaven Industries
1793 Pines Road.
Oregon, Illinois 61061
815-732-2806

RollingCamel
01-07-2011, 08:24 AM
3:1....I don't know, but wouldn't it be a bit too sensitive?

Woodwardsteering is from the companies which can manufacture custom steering racks. Check there pdf.

BillCobb
01-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Rack descriptions don't come as '3:1'. They are rotary to linear displacement transformers. Hence 'mm per degree'. In the industry, they are 'mm per 360 degrees', called the 'C-Factor'.

Look in an ATV parts book for starters...

Your '3:1' (overall steering ratio) would be achieved by the ratio of the steer arm length to rack pinion radius.

Make sure you put lots of holes in the steer arms, 'cause the gorilla trying to drive it is gonna likely need more than bananas to turn the wheels with 3:1.

ESaenz
01-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Hey,
Try " titan dot uk dot net ".
They can make any spec you want but as the previous person mentioned... check your requirements.
Elio

tougeferio
01-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Just for warning we ordered a custom rack from the UK for our 2010 car... it took six months to get to our shop, a couple months being made and hanging out at the factory, then it spent three months in customs, and finally made its way to San Antonio.

It's an awesome rack don't get me wrong, but it set us back a half a year.

RobbyObby
01-08-2011, 04:20 AM
Look at chassisshop dot com. We get our rack from them every year.

warhammer
01-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Woodward worked great for us, you can specify your gear ratios and also your lengths, also they're internally supported. They are a bit heavy though

exFSAE
01-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Agree that 3:1 is an awfully fast ratio. Max road wheel input in a hairpin is what, 25 deg-ish? 180-200 deg HWA would prob be appropriate.. I'll let ya do the division.

Plus the 7.5" wide Hoosiers you mentioned in the earlier post have a very heavy steering feel to begin with.

MegaDeath
01-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by RobbyObby:
Look at chassisshop dot com. We get our rack from them every year.

I second the chassis shop. That's where we used to get ours, but we are making our own this year. They make a few different ratios to choose from.

RollingCamel
01-10-2011, 02:00 AM
We've got ours from the chassis shop too but I don't like it's method of fixture. Still it is cost effect.

blister
01-11-2011, 03:40 AM
The one from Chassisshop is very light for its price and you can make a better fiaxation quite easily.

We use it since 4 years and the freeplay always comes from the QuickRelease.

About maximum steering wheel angle: We have around 110° and i don`t think that this is not enough.