PDA

View Full Version : Packaging Issues with New Template Rule

Stocky Fast 1
09-22-2008, 07:08 PM
I have been working with designing the pedal box for 2009 and due to the new template rules, I have been unable to fit a pedal box that allows for the proper motion ratio in our system. I have clearance issues with the steering rack because it has to be moved to the bottom to make room for the template. Any other teams having packaging issues?

As well I seem to be having trouble finding a production caliper to help offset the loss in the motion ratio. Anybody know of caliper in the 1.25" diameter variety with a pad of similar size.

Mike

Stocky Fast 1
09-22-2008, 07:08 PM
I have been working with designing the pedal box for 2009 and due to the new template rules, I have been unable to fit a pedal box that allows for the proper motion ratio in our system. I have clearance issues with the steering rack because it has to be moved to the bottom to make room for the template. Any other teams having packaging issues?

As well I seem to be having trouble finding a production caliper to help offset the loss in the motion ratio. Anybody know of caliper in the 1.25" diameter variety with a pad of similar size.

Mike

James Morris
09-23-2008, 01:00 AM
How about using a pull type master cylinder?

Pull type (http://www.apracing.com/info/products.asp?product=Floor+Mounted+Reversed+Pull+T ype-CP5516-3+Three+Pedal_2351_2342)

Were looking at placing the steering rack in front of the front bulkhead.

Stocky Fast 1
09-23-2008, 05:14 AM
I had previously looked into this but was unsure of whether I could keep the master cylinders low enough to pass the template through till 4 inches from the pedals but at the time I did not know where our steering rack was going to be placed. Thanks, I will have to look more into this.

kapps
09-23-2008, 01:39 PM
We're in the same boat. With the new template, mounting the steering rack parallel with the upper a-arms is pretty much impossible so we'll be moving to bottom-steer this year. Last year, I also used pull-style masters but I'll probably be switching back to a more conventional system this year due to the template (and adding a half a foot to our frame length http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif)

Stocky Fast 1
09-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Yes, that would have been our other option. But we're going at it without major modifications to the frame.

Wesley
09-23-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm really intrigued to see what teams' cars look like after the template changes, especially those with the tight carbon tubs.

Our cockpit was fairly large by FSAE standards, and it still had to be made bigger. We switched to bottom-steer and pull-rod because the nose is slightly smaller than a beluga whale and that stuff got in the way.

I hope to see some awesome looking boats out there.

Moke
09-23-2008, 02:59 PM
They really don't look to bad once the whole car is together and you get used to looking at it.

We have some pictures of our new car on our website www.fsae.co.nz (http://www.fsae.co.nz)

HoggyN
09-25-2008, 01:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Were looking at placing the steering rack in front of the front bulkhead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How are you going to do that and still comply with Rule 3.18.2 (and 3.22)?

"The Front Bulkhead must be located forward of all non-crushable objects, e.g. batteries,
master cylinders, hydraulic reservoirs."

James Morris
09-25-2008, 10:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> How are you going to do that and still comply with Rule 3.18.2 (and 3.22)?

"The Front Bulkhead must be located forward of all non-crushable objects, e.g. batteries,
master cylinders, hydraulic reservoirs." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

By tilting the bulk head forwards at the top by 10 to 15 deg,the rack will be placed at the very bottom of the bulk head inline with the lower frame rail. Bit of a grey area i know we'll have to get clarification.

Hopefully this will be fine, it will make the I.A. a bit bigger, but the advantage is that it gets it out if the way of the new template rules, and should enable us to have the steering column with out U.J's.

If not it will just have to live on top, right behind the front bulkhead, or perhaps tightly packaged by the pedals.