PDA

View Full Version : Book Reviews

absolutepressure
09-01-2006, 09:59 PM
You all have probably gotten the sae book catalog type thingies by now, and I'm lookin for some help. I couldn't find any reviews on the internet, so that's why I'm askin you guys. What are your thoughts on "Design of Racing and High-Performance Engines" 1998-2003 by Daniel J. Holt; "Automotive Engineering Fundamentals" by...well, I can't really read what the picture says; "Vehicular Engine Design" by Kevin L. Hoag.; and "Advanced Engine Technology" by Heinz Heisler. I read most of the intake portion of the last book, and some on angular piston positions for several different cylinder configurations as well.

The later of which is really hard to follow once he gets into inline 6's...that's as much as I could take...he started with 2 opposed, and ends with I think 8 inline. He breaks down where each piston is at small increments through a 720 deg cycle, and it gets pretty intense.

I'd recommend this book, but be aware, his phrasing is hard to follow at times because this guy was clearly not an english major.

His other book, "Vehicle and Engine Technology" is ok, but I wouldn't recommend it. He covers the whole car in less pages than the advanced engine book. Therefore, it's pretty basic and you won't get a good understanding of anything, just kind of a vauge idea of everything.

So there, I put my 2 cents in on a couple of books, so I'd like to hear about any others that you've read, especially the ones on my list, thanks.

Mike Claffey
09-03-2006, 10:02 PM
I purchased Vehicular Engine design and to be honest I haven't had the time to really get into it. I did notice that it was alot thinner than I had expected, seemed fairly technical but I'm not to sure of its relivance to what you would be doing in FSAE.

I'll edit this if I get a chance to sink my teeth into it soon.

Regards,

Mike C

absolutepressure
09-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Ya, I noticed that in the first flyer they put out. It said it was only like 100 pages or something like that.

I'm not looking for information specifically relating to fsae...the world is much bigger than that. I'm looking for information that applies to real sized racecars, engines, and other things on a real world scale. After all, I don't plan on staying here and making this my occupation, I want to move up into the real automotive world. Besides, I feel that a lot of the pricipals and concepts can and should be carried over from what thousands of engineers have been perfecting for over a hundred years.

But yeah, def tell me when you get a good feel for the book.
Thanks

drivetrainUW-Platt
09-05-2006, 06:40 AM
You dont have time to read...get that restictor designed and manufactured RIGHT this year...no half ass monkey shit http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by absolutepressure:
Ya, I noticed that in the first flyer they put out. It said it was only like 100 pages or something like that.

I'm not looking for information specifically relating to fsae...the world is much bigger than that. I'm looking for information that applies to real sized racecars, engines, and other things on a real world scale. After all, I don't plan on staying here and making this my occupation, I want to move up into the real automotive world. Besides, I feel that a lot of the pricipals and concepts can and should be carried over from what thousands of engineers have been perfecting for over a hundred years.

But yeah, def tell me when you get a good feel for the book.
Thanks

absolutepressure
09-05-2006, 01:19 PM
it was only half assed because someone took a nail to the restrictor negative 2 weeks from comp.

drivetrainUW-Platt
09-07-2006, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by absolutepressure:
it was only half assed because someone took a nail to the restrictor negative 2 weeks from comp.

word...
you should change your signature to:
turbo lag is like foreplay, the longer it is the better the result