PDA

View Full Version : FS Electric department.

Kasrawy
04-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Is having one worth it? If so what references would you recommend to get an electric team started? I am talking about the vehicle's-electric systems-team and not an electric driven car.

Thank you in advance http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DanielH
04-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Yes, it is definitely worth it. Most of are troubles in the past few years have been because of the electronics. even if you have a simple car without a whole lot of gadgets like traction control or active suspension systems you still have a minimum of electronics on the car. so if you can build an electronics section on your team definitely go for it.

Ben K
04-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Our team has 3 electronics guys who just plainly know the system. It doesn't take much to create a beautiful and easily diagnosable wiring system, but you have to have someone dedicated to it.

Ben

thewoundedsoldier
04-26-2011, 01:09 AM
Data Acq/display are best for an electronics team, engine wiring is probably best for the engine team.

I have found that EE's are generally much less reliable and much less willing to "dive in" to FSAE than ME's are. This isn't to say that awesome EE team members don't exist, just that my best electronics guys have always been ME's.

Jon Burford
06-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Hi,
A well constructed wiring loom is often missing from many cars. I would highly recommend having an electrical section.
Don't be fooled though. Since electrics can generally be hidden under shrinkwrap it is rather easy to hide shoddy work.
It is much more beneficial to have dedicated people working electrics who can learn the skills required. These people do not need to be Electrical Engineers.

All the Best
Jon