PDA

View Full Version : Submission of Design Report & Spec Sheet

ACXY
02-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Hi,

If I am not wrong, the submission for design report and spec sheet should be due in under 24 hours. Does anyone know where we are supposed to submit the documents? Thanks in advance!

ACXY
02-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Hi,

If I am not wrong, the submission for design report and spec sheet should be due in under 24 hours. Does anyone know where we are supposed to submit the documents? Thanks in advance!

B Hise
02-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Theyre due march 1.

Anyone know if there are any regulations on font? I'm not saying I want to use 3pt, but going from 12 to 10 would make my life a little easier right now.

Bryan

ACXY
02-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Hi Bryan,

I know it's Mar 1. But where do I send my documents to? The rules committee have yet to release the email address for us to send the documents to right?

Anyway, we're using font 12.

Cheers.

LCheung
02-27-2006, 12:18 PM
I've looked all over for the information as well. Can someone post a reply if they know what's going on?

B Hise
02-27-2006, 12:23 PM
fsae@sae.org ?

Marshall Grice
02-27-2006, 12:29 PM
here (http://www.formulasae.org/forums/formula/dispatch.cgi/announcements/docProfile/100069/d20050921155946/No/t100069.htm) is a link that gives the info.

Matt Gignac
02-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Anyone know how to get a confirmation or check if your pdf got accepted? I uploaded it, and the way they have it set up, i couldnt go back later to see if it's actually there.

Matt Gignac
McGill Racing Team

BeaverGuy
02-27-2006, 12:49 PM
I would suggest formatting it as you would an SAE or other technical paper. It looks a lot more profesional that way.

rjwoods77
02-27-2006, 12:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marshall Grice:
here (http://www.formulasae.org/forums/formula/dispatch.cgi/announcements/docProfile/100069/d20050921155946/No/t100069.htm) is a link that gives the info. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gotta do it with IE because Mozilla will just show a blank screen just to remind you folks.

Captain Redbeard
02-27-2006, 02:07 PM
There is a 2005 Design Debrief that discusses layout and font on the Formula Student website. Basically it says: "Keep the font easily legible so us old guys can read it."

-Redbeard

jdstuff
02-27-2006, 02:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Gignac:
Anyone know how to get a confirmation or check if your pdf got accepted? I uploaded it, and the way they have it set up, i couldnt go back later to see if it's actually there.

Matt Gignac
McGill Racing Team </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll recieve an email reply in a few days. I know....not exactly comforting, but that's the way it's been done the past few years.

PatClarke
02-28-2006, 03:36 AM
I cant believe you guys treat the Design Review in such a cavalier fashion!

Don't you realise that winning or placing weel in Design pivots on your DR?

This is your cars CV, it is what tells the judges what you have done and why you did it. It is the document that can make the judges anxious to see your car and discuss your design decisions with you!

Oh, and the judges might have age related myopia, [Thats my excuse ;-) ] but let me assure you they will see straight through puffery, big fonts, double spacing and all the other stuff we have seen over the years.

You should be struggling to get all you want to tell and show the judges into the allocated pages, not looking to pad it out.

Would you go to a job interview with a sloppy, puffed out CV, short on detail and content? You wouldn't get into the final selection (assuming you had even got an interview in the first place). Do I have to draw the parallels?

Grrrrrrrr.
PDR

Storbeck
02-28-2006, 04:14 AM
Pat, good points. Sounds like the result of frustration from looking through a bunch of sub par design reports. However, it looks to me like people are wondering what the smallest font they can get away with, because it's hard to fit it all in.

I plan on using ten, since I think any smaller would be difficult to read, with small margins and tight spacing. Everybody might be WAY ahead of me on this one, but I just discovered the "exactly" option for line spacing in MS word. Lets you get less than single spacing, so you can get just a little bit more on each page. Found out about it while trying to fit the resume on one page.

Pat,any last minute design report tips? If nothing else a few personal pet peeves of yours to avoid?

Thanks
Andy

CMURacing - Prometheus
02-28-2006, 07:02 AM
Pat-

I treat the design report like I treat all other technical reports: short and sweet. This isn't to say I resort to double spacing or big fonts or wide margins, but I set a target (usually 2000 words or so, which is 11pt with pictures inline with text), and I stay under it. Last year, I had 2100+ words. This year, I'd like to think I accomplished the same amount (or more even) with only 1700. Isn't that what good technical writing is about?

ben
02-28-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm with Mike on this. I'd prefer to see concise and to the point comments rather than the start of a novel.

The biggest gripe from me last year was formatting. How hard is it to get three layout drawings and some other pics sorted?

The best are very good though, which makes that bad ones seem even worse.

Also head Pat's advice, if your design report's mediocre you stand a much better chance of being put in an initial judging group with better cars (it seems the best cars have the best reports in general) and your chance may have gone before you even speak to a design judge in person.

Ben

GTmule
02-28-2006, 05:07 PM
How in the world do I submit this? I log on to that Ftp site, and I get one filename, that seems to be meaningless. Help me out,here.

mangel83
02-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Copy/paste the files to that ftp folder that opens up, it's that easy

GTmule
02-28-2006, 10:44 PM
cool, that's pretty lame, though, surely they could come up with something better........

KevinD
03-01-2006, 06:30 PM
for teams registering for both east and west, both east and west FTP sites are linked to the same. because we have a different number for both events, should i be submitting two documents, one for each number?

Erich Ohlde
03-01-2006, 07:11 PM
this is a little late. but we submitted two separate reports, both titled with the individual number we are at each competition

Garlic
03-01-2006, 07:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Suddenlee:
I cant believe you guys treat the Design Review in such a cavalier fashion! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pat, I can't argue with any of your statements, except I don't see where your motivation comes from?? I don't see anyone acting cavalier here. The only questions were how to submit the report, which was a new thing for 2006. Except for the question about fonts, which seemed like an obvious question of 'is it OK to add more info at the expense of a smaller text?'. None of this sounds cavalier to me!?

KevinD
03-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Thansk Erich. i did the same, i started to put it in a folder labeled FSAE - detroit and another for FSAE - west but when i had to restart the computer i couldn't access the folder anymore. so i just dropped all the files in the folder.

GTmule
03-01-2006, 08:33 PM
What's the impact data filename supposed to be?

CMURacing - Prometheus
03-02-2006, 07:55 AM
its too late now, but i just added an _impact to the design report filename format.

KevinD
03-02-2006, 09:50 AM
thats exactly what we did too.

Erich Ohlde
03-02-2006, 10:07 AM
did everyone submit the team members names yesterday too?

Fred R.
03-02-2006, 11:33 AM
no you can submit the members through the login page before competition.

About the ftp site, what a crappy way of doing it. There is no instant receipt, it would've been much better to send it to an email and get an instant notificaition..

Erich Ohlde
03-02-2006, 12:00 PM
anyone reading the monthly newsletters? I thought that a team roster was due with the design report?

Greg H
03-02-2006, 03:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jayhawk_electrical:
anyone reading the monthly newsletters? I thought that a team roster was due with the design report? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We read the same thing. They said it had to be updated by March 1st or points would be taken off. Those newsletters are just about the only way they can communicate with everybody, so it's good to check them along with the FAQ forum.

KevinD
03-02-2006, 08:07 PM
we don't even know what our roster will be, so how in the world would we be able to fill that out?

Erich Ohlde
03-02-2006, 09:42 PM
exactly. i'm gonna be pissed if they deduct points

Fred R.
03-02-2006, 10:04 PM
i always forget about the damn newsletters..