PDA

View Full Version : Ergonomic steering wheel angle

Alejandro
02-09-2006, 04:53 AM
Hi.. this is a question fot the pilots and for the designers.

Whats the best position concernig to the angle of the steering wheel?

some cars have almost 90º, the enzo(street car) has 15º, some cars 30º, I think formula one has 90º?.

and what would be the main reason for that angle? I think less angle is better for cornering because of the feeling of the driver.

Alejandro
02-09-2006, 04:53 AM
Hi.. this is a question fot the pilots and for the designers.

Whats the best position concernig to the angle of the steering wheel?

some cars have almost 90º, the enzo(street car) has 15º, some cars 30º, I think formula one has 90º?.

and what would be the main reason for that angle? I think less angle is better for cornering because of the feeling of the driver.

vandit
02-09-2006, 04:59 AM
we didnt consider that....but we rather focussed on the driver seat angle and made sure that the angle between the upper arm and lower arm is approx 90 degree when holding the steering wheel.......and also the steering wheel is inside the front roll hoop....being second year team we didnt know the importance of the angle u r talking about.....any information is highly appreciated

Ben Beacock
02-09-2006, 05:37 AM
My personal preference is that the steering wheel angle depends on how reclined the driver is. If I was heavily reclined like an F1 driver, I would want the steering wheel to be vertical. If I was more upright (like a kart), I would want it angled up. Perhaps a quick hypothesis.. that the steering shaft would point at the driver's neck or shoulders?

drivetrainUW-Platt
02-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Also remember when placing your wheel that the drivers hands have to be inside of the front roll hoop for rollover protection.