can anyone give me the pros and cons of having : --wider front track width;
-wider rear track width.

The AFX Master
04-10-2011, 12:51 AM
Twelve, exactly twelve.

thewoundedsoldier
04-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Think tricycle. Delta vs. Tadpole.

Take a few hours to go through RCVD and make a LLTD spreadsheet. It will answer a lot of your question.

Dash
04-10-2011, 12:35 PM
just watch this short video. it explains it all - In the hilarious Top Gear fashion. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

BillCobb
04-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Well there's the obvious reason that having a different track width keeps you from taking shortcuts across town using railroad tracks. Some teams have noticed that wider in the rear gives an obese driver extra room to wallow in. The most important reason though, is in case you run over some dog or cat poop, it will only get on one tire, not both.

Jay Lawrence
04-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Consult the rules, they give you an envelope to work in. Then think about how you want it to handle.

DougMilliken
04-11-2011, 05:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillCobb:
....The most important reason though, is in case you run over some dog or cat poop, it will only get on one tire, not both. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Bill, you must have a nasty cat that doesn't bury it's crap!
For anyone actually reading this, a more complete description could consider cornering cases above and below tangent speed.

BMEP
04-11-2011, 06:34 AM
Harder to take out cones with the rear wheels when the rear has a smaller track

nms553
04-12-2011, 10:05 PM
con: nobody is going to answer that question for you.
pro: you can look it up and uncover the answers yourself

The AFX Master
04-13-2011, 07:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DougMilliken:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillCobb:
....The most important reason though, is in case you run over some dog or cat poop, it will only get on one tire, not both. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Bill, you must have a nasty cat that doesn't bury it's crap!
For anyone actually reading this, a more complete description could consider cornering cases above and below tangent speed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looking forward for new TTC data batch including cat poop hysteresis effects....

BillCobb
04-13-2011, 08:58 AM
The 'cats' running around my 25 acres are black and as big as my Lab/Neufie mix. When they stalk you, the hair raises up on both of our necks. Same for the coyotes.

Perhaps the request for new TTC data is a 'hairball' suggestion?

Tushar
04-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Well, 2 reasons which i can understand:
1. Stable understeer at the front while cornering.
2. Ensures that your rear can pass a tight corner situation if your front passes. So, less chances of hitting out your rear part of car.

MegaDeath
04-13-2011, 07:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BMEP:
Harder to take out cones with the rear wheels when the rear has a smaller track </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll give you $50 if you tell that to a design judge.

MalcolmG
04-13-2011, 08:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MegaDeath:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BMEP:
Harder to take out cones with the rear wheels when the rear has a smaller track </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll give you $50 if you tell that to a design judge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Does this offer apply retrospectively? IMO the effect of track width on the curvature required to navigate through a tightly coned course is significant, and given the load (in)sensitivity of typical tyres, possibly more important than the effect on steady-state balance.

Rotary Sprocket
04-14-2011, 06:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MegaDeath:

I'll give you $50 if you tell that to a design judge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When can I get my $50. No joke this is what I told them in design last year.

BillCobb
04-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Well one of your design judges has given you the biggest hint in a post 1/2 way up. That explanation with the technical merits of the effect would earn you more than $50.

Now go look up "tangent speed" and tell me the rear axle's attitude when its below, at, and above its tangent speed. There is a good reason my Grandma took out the mailbox when driving her Buick too slowly into the driveway. And, that my Grandpa took out the neighbor's mailbox when HE came home.

BTW, Doug: Did you see the color picture of Bill's camber car being shown on the American Pickers episode showing them searching for Nascar Hall of Fame artifacts? It was related to Jr Johnson's camber thrust front steering knuckle...

This almost makes me want to sign up to be a judge...

vikram.
04-14-2011, 07:48 AM
despite of 15 harsh posts a simple explanation would had been very helpfull to that guy...

Jay Lawrence
04-14-2011, 03:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vikram kumar:
despite of 15 harsh posts a simple explanation would had been very helpfull to that guy... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There isn't one.
I've seen teams from your area driving down public roads in their car that can't pass rules not wearing helmets or any other gear... I'd say you have more important things to consider before you stress too much about the finer points of car handling.

vikram.
04-14-2011, 09:13 PM
no denying of the fact you just said
but atleast if someone coming out of that life and want to do something better,atleast there should be a encouragement.

Bemo
04-15-2011, 03:01 AM
It's a very old topic around here. You can't just post the most basic questions you could think of and expect people giving you helpful responses.

This guy should read some books about vehicle dynamics first. If there are some details one doesn't understand or if everything there is applicable for FSAE cars is something else. Out of that it is possible for some interesting discussion to start.