PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharged Single Cyl. ?? (unrestricted)

johnnySV
10-19-2004, 01:53 PM
a friend of mine is interested in building a GP RoadRacing motorcycle w/ a turbocharged single cylinder motor.... there would be no intake restriction.

does anyone have experiance w/ turbocharging singles ?? if so, what kind of retrofit operations did you do, and what kind of performance can be realized from a tuned system ??

(i realize this is a huge undertaking but the thought of it is just so dang sexy !)

thanks for the help.

johnnySV
10-19-2004, 01:53 PM
a friend of mine is interested in building a GP RoadRacing motorcycle w/ a turbocharged single cylinder motor.... there would be no intake restriction.

does anyone have experiance w/ turbocharging singles ?? if so, what kind of retrofit operations did you do, and what kind of performance can be realized from a tuned system ??

(i realize this is a huge undertaking but the thought of it is just so dang sexy !)

thanks for the help.

rjwoods77
10-19-2004, 01:58 PM
its not a simgle but this is worth looking at. A two stroke parallel twin. Why bother with a turbo single when you can use a na twin that will give you more than enough power to kill yourself with easy.

http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/issues/apr00/tularis.htm

johnnySV
10-19-2004, 02:13 PM
holy smokes that thing is nasty.... did not read it all yet but im looking forward to it.

Rob - to answer your question... a single could run in the Super Singles class for CCS (Championship Cup Series). other bikes that run in this class are stock motards (450's) and GP 2-stroke racing 125's, among other things.

a Turbo 450, or similar, if properly tuned, would be lethal.

rjwoods77
10-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Cool. Didn't know if you were looking into class racing. If you wanna go two stroke I have not seen anyhting better than a honda 250r. They used to put they used to put them into quads. All the guys that are serious racers either use the biggest thumper they can find(500cc four stroke) or a increased capacity 250r. The biggest i have ever seen them flipped to was 330 cc. But they put out some seroius power at thae level Around the 80 -100 hp level. The only reason anyone uses thumper motors is for pull out of slow speed corners. but if you dont really have those so i would 2 stroke it. Thing is light as hell and already has a 5 speed in it. Huge aftermarket. Can get any kind pipes, pistons, whatever. Latt i heard someone was working on a ski-doo style RAVE valve for it.

rjwoods77
10-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Just to add if you are gunna turbo, it will cost you weight that you dont want or need on a bike. Try just going big as you can with a motor and spin the piss out of it.

johnnySV
10-19-2004, 02:47 PM
thats cool man. 4-stroke motor is preferred for stated reasons (thump accel at low rpm's) as well as maintenence / reliability.

the scope of the project would hopefully include a sub 300lb., ~70+ hp, road rocket.