PDA

View Full Version : Fasteners->COST REPORT?

Vector006
03-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Ok, before i go postal and hunt down the people that wrote this section of the rules, help me out.

Where is everyone putting their fasteners in their cost report? Do small purchased items (such as nuts, bolts, safety wire, etc) belong in the BOM?
I am confused because of the example given in section 4.3.4 regarding the End Item examples. From the control arm example, they say that rod ends and the pieces that make the control arm are not included in the BOM. So does the cost of the rod end get broken down in the process sheet? In the so-called "organized" list in Appendix A-3 they say that rod ends and fasteners belong in BOM.
If we agree that fastners belong in the process sheets of the control arm, and not in the BOM, how do the fastners that bolt my caliper onto the car get listed (since the caliper doesnt have a process sheet)?
On the other hand, If we agree that fastners belong in the BOM, do they expect to have us list every fastener size and have a reciept for each?

Also, the rules specify that tabed sections of no more than 10 pages. Do these 10 pages just include process sheets? or should the BOM be broken into the 8 tabbed sections and be included in the 10 pages?

The whole section is garbage, can anyone relate?

-jer

Vector006
03-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Ok, before i go postal and hunt down the people that wrote this section of the rules, help me out.

Where is everyone putting their fasteners in their cost report? Do small purchased items (such as nuts, bolts, safety wire, etc) belong in the BOM?
I am confused because of the example given in section 4.3.4 regarding the End Item examples. From the control arm example, they say that rod ends and the pieces that make the control arm are not included in the BOM. So does the cost of the rod end get broken down in the process sheet? In the so-called "organized" list in Appendix A-3 they say that rod ends and fasteners belong in BOM.
If we agree that fastners belong in the process sheets of the control arm, and not in the BOM, how do the fastners that bolt my caliper onto the car get listed (since the caliper doesnt have a process sheet)?
On the other hand, If we agree that fastners belong in the BOM, do they expect to have us list every fastener size and have a reciept for each?

Also, the rules specify that tabed sections of no more than 10 pages. Do these 10 pages just include process sheets? or should the BOM be broken into the 8 tabbed sections and be included in the 10 pages?

The whole section is garbage, can anyone relate?

-jer

Bulldog R
03-21-2004, 10:44 PM
I had the similar thoughts to the end item description as well. Unfortunantly i had the same questions after the deadline for asking had passed. I'd appreciate some clearification as well if anyone is up to it.

Joe

Marc Jaxa-Rozen
03-22-2004, 03:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also, the rules specify that tabed sections of no more than 10 pages. Do these 10 pages just include process sheets? or should the BOM be broken into the 8 tabbed sections and be included in the 10 pages?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, let's see...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>-The BOM shall be divided into the eight (8) sections specified in
Appendix A-3, and each section shall follow the format given in
Appendix A-4.
-Each section shall not exceed ten (10) pages, (5 sheets of paper if
double-sided), for a total of eighty (80) pages. This number does
not include the receipts and any drawings and photographs. Cost
reports that exceed eighty (80) pages will only be evaluated on the
first eighty pages. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Eight Commodity report sections. Each commodity report section
should include:
Up to ten pages of process descriptions:
Not included in the ten pages but in each of the eight
commodity sections
"¢ Bill of Materials, for end items only, of the prototype that
the team has brought to the competition.
"¢ Receipts
"¢ Other backup (prints, photos, et al) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You be the judge...

I would gladly further express my feelings about the 4.3 section of the rules but it would send the censor filter into a major depression.

Marc
École Nationale d'Aérotechnique