PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Prototyping

Tracy - Rose SAE
10-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a question about which rapid prototyping material would be the best to use for the intake runners?

If anyone could help me out that would be fabulous!

RenM
10-05-2010, 06:52 PM
play doh is the best rapid prototyping material!

Dsenechal
10-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by RenM:
play doh is the best rapid prototyping material!

Dont you mean Silly Puddy? Im pretty sure the modulus of elasticity is Superior...

Xeilos
10-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Please god do not tell me that is MDF, White ABS Pipe and either wood or cardboard? Also duct tape or ducting sealant tape?

However on the other hand I do applaud the sheer redneck-ness of making the intake using the above materials. Now if you got it to stand up under vacuum and not have any vacuum leaks, I will truly be impressed.

BrendonD
10-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Hey don't knock the redneck materials. We have a PVC and duct tape vacuum reservoir for our composites layups. Works ok for being near-free.

Mumpitz
10-06-2010, 08:57 AM
ABS??? Pfff it's schedule 40 PVC, MDF, wads of Bondo, half a gallon of silicone, just over a foot of 2X6, and a few inches of 2X4. No leaks! The exhaust was what ever was laying around (EMT conduit). It was rapid, and although there was a lot of talk of trying to run it on the car just for laughs it is definitely a prototype. That being said it ripped 77hp and 46ft-lb, I'd gamble that's more than a many pretty setups.

Back to the original topic, just make sure it can handle the temperature, chemicals, and the mechanical stress (vac and vibration). Schedule 40 PVC might be a good benchmark when comparing material properties http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

wagemd
10-06-2010, 09:30 PM
RP seems like a lot of work for runners... I dont think Al pipe has ever failed anyone...

Or if you just want to be different, you could always try bone, glass, or clay http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

PeterK
10-07-2010, 08:50 AM
+1 for bone.

Mikey Antonakakis
10-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Wait I feel like I'm missing something, where is this redneck intake being discussed?

wagemd
10-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Xeilos:
Please god do not tell me that is MDF, White ABS Pipe and either wood or cardboard? Also duct tape or ducting sealant tape?

However on the other hand I do applaud the sheer redneck-ness of making the intake using the above materials. Now if you got it to stand up under vacuum and not have any vacuum leaks, I will truly be impressed.

StephenP.
10-08-2010, 08:40 AM
The posts got deleted. No idea why, they are ridiculous though.

Mumpitz
10-08-2010, 09:03 AM
apparently if you edit a post with a previously approved link you gotta wait for it to get re-approved.....
I blame Wayne States history of "FSAE images" :P

Mumpitz
10-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Here lets try this
h t t p : //img201.imageshack.us/img201/2720/pvcj.jpg

Zac
10-08-2010, 10:29 AM
I think this is the method to go with:

h t t p : // jalopnik.com/5659085/how-to-build-an-intake-out-of-carbon-fiber-styrofoam-and-condoms

Mikey Antonakakis
10-08-2010, 12:09 PM
It's beautiful!

The AFX Master
10-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Being serious, altough i like to be part of the "search button alergic n00bs bashing team"..

DON'T use crappy ABS for intake parts that are supposed to be in contact with fuel (such as injector seats or lower runners), it will chew through the plastic. Beware of the high structural directionality of the finished product, things as fuel rail brackets or bracket-like junctions can fail at the "print" direction fairly easily.

we did in 2008 and it's a pain in the ass. We happened to get some terrifying fuel leaks when both fuel rail brackets blew up during testing. I still don't know how the card didn't get on a fire clusterfuck that day.

I think it's way better to manufacture the intake on composites or thin sheet metal if you're really low on budget.