PDA

View Full Version : Cam sensor for a daytonna triumph

hpuqac
04-17-2007, 09:06 AM
In the connection diagram, their is no cam sensor on this engine (daytonna triumph 600). The AEM i use need to know that info to works well. Since the cam and the crank are reliated, would they are any possibility to do something with the crank sensor. Maybe the AEM is configurable for that, or do I need to get a cam sensor.
Any helps would be apreciated.

Hubs
FSAE Uqac

hpuqac
04-17-2007, 09:06 AM
In the connection diagram, their is no cam sensor on this engine (daytonna triumph 600). The AEM i use need to know that info to works well. Since the cam and the crank are reliated, would they are any possibility to do something with the crank sensor. Maybe the AEM is configurable for that, or do I need to get a cam sensor.
Any helps would be apreciated.

Hubs
FSAE Uqac

KU_Racing
04-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Unless you have a very strange crank sensor setup, it will be very hard to derive a cam sync signal from the crank trigger. If you were running an 10-2 or some other weird setup where the missing teeth were opposed 180 degrees, you might be able to configure it that way, but you will probably have issues because of low resolution on the sync signal. The AEM can run the engine batch fire with just a crank signal- look in your manual and it should explain everything.

Mike Flitcraft
04-18-2007, 08:03 AM
Do what GM does on some vehicles: reference it off of the spark wire for cylinder #1.

The cam and crank are always in a fixed relationship, regardless of RPM, weather, etc., the crank moves at twice the RPM of the cam.

When the #1 cylinder sparks, the computer references that to the crankshaft position (when it sparks on the power stroke both valves are closed) to get a reading on the camshaft.

Very simple, cheap, lightweight, but a pain in my ass on my car. Constant Service Engine Soon light after it rains for at least 4 days. The code's for a fault in the camshaft position sensor circuit, when the car doesn't have one.

BeaverGuy
04-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Mike, the process you are explaining sounds like a system that starts as a non-sequential wasted spark and then transfers to a sequential system. I've read parts of a final project paper from an FSAE team from the late 90's, either UConn or Cincinatti, that tried to do so with an in house ECU but I have never heard of an OEM application. In order to work it has to sense the difference in voltage between the spark on the compression stroke and the spark on the exhaust stroke which is not a trivial task. Otherwise it will never know which is which and run in the non-sequential mode the whole time.

Mike Flitcraft
04-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Josh, that's pretty much exactly what it is. I know GM is well known for this(at least in the Saturn line from '91-'02). Then again, they've never been known to have the greatest electrical systems either. Two individual coils were used, one for cylinders 1 and 4, another for 2 and 3. 1 and 4 were when #1 was on the power and exhaust strokes, etc. for the rest.

It doesn't sense a voltage difference so much, just detects if it's there or not there (at least from what I've been reading in the Factory Service Manuals). Combined with the crank trigger, it works fine.

Overly complicated to a point, yes, but accurate with little added sensors and weight, definately.

hpuqac
04-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Well, thank you very much to all of you guys. It gives me some lines to follow. I will try tricks, one by one untill i get the good one. That idea of referencing to the coil-1 seems a good idea. I have to investigate it for the next few weeks. It has to work somehow. It will. Tomorrow i start to connect my AEM.. or should i study my exams... Noooo, connect the AEM is better.!!

Any other idea is welcome,
HP UQAC