PDA

View Full Version : Impact Racing Gear Decertified by SFI

Mikey Antonakakis
03-29-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm not sure if anyone has heard the news, but I am wondering how this will affect teams that currently have Impact Racing safety products. I know that basically all of our safety gear comes from Impact. I'll have a link in the next post, so here's a placeholder until that shows up.

The message shows up on SFI's website, www dot sfifoundation dot com

Mikey Antonakakis
03-29-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm not sure if anyone has heard the news, but I am wondering how this will affect teams that currently have Impact Racing safety products. I know that basically all of our safety gear comes from Impact. I'll have a link in the next post, so here's a placeholder until that shows up.

The message shows up on SFI's website, www dot sfifoundation dot com

Mikey Antonakakis
03-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Here's the notice:
http://sfifoundation.com/Decer...onNotice03-26-10.pdf (http://sfifoundation.com/DecertificationNotice03-26-10.pdf)

moose
03-29-2010, 01:22 PM
From the SFI Site:

It looks like there is a 90 day window, so that clears you through the end of June. But you're supposed to remove the SFI labels and mail them back... http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Also, good luck getting your money back. But on the plus side, they aren't accusing them of making a product that wouldn't be certified/safe, just not paying SFI for the patches that go along with that.. they were just making counterfeit patches.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Impact has been directed to cease and desist from this practice. SFI has directed Impact to immediately notify all affected customers to remove the counterfeit labeling and to offer the affected customers a full refund of the purchase price. SFI is requesting that all counterfeit conformance labels removed from Impact products be sent to SFI.

SFI has elected not to decertify these products immediately in order to minimize the potential hardships to members of the racing community that have been brought about by Impact’s counterfeiting activities.

SFI has also elected to terminate all Contracts of Participation with Impact Racing effective 90 days from March 24, 2010. Under the terms of the Contracts, either party may terminate the agreements without penalty upon 90 days notice. This means that Impact will no longer be able to participate in any SFI programs after this 90 day period.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

moose
03-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Oh wow.. I read that wrong, I think the products are considered useless effective April 27th.

Also - the only brand I see on their site a few times (for earlier temporary decertifications) is Impact.. seems they were doing a lot of shady stuff.

Brian Barnhill
03-30-2010, 06:16 AM
The products will be decertified and no longer legal as of April 27th. The 90 day period is just when the contract between SFI and Impact will be officially cancelled.

I agree... lots of shady business there... There have also been problems with using non-genuine/knock-off HANS posts on their helmets. Regardless of whether the products are safe or not - they are no longer legal for the majority of sanctioned events, and I don't think SCCA, IHRA, NASCAR, etc are going to stick their necks out there and bless Impact products without backing from SFI. The fact that they knowingly lied and engaged in such business practices related to a very clear requirement is enough to cast doubt on all their products and safety.

Michael Royce
03-30-2010, 06:57 AM
According to the SFI web site, the decertification applies only to 3.2A (driver suits), 3.3 (driver accessories, e.g. boots, arm restraints, gloves, balaclavas), and 16.1 and 16.5 (belts).

SFI say specifically that it does NOT apply to helmets. Over the years we have seen very, very few helmets with just SFI certification. Almost all carry the Snell sticker. So helmets should not be a major concern.

The FSAE Rules do not require SFI certified gloves, arm restraints or balaclavas although most are. So the only items FSAE teams need to worry about at the moment are the belts and suits, and some of these are FIA certified as well.

I know that SAE staff are working hard to determine how they will handle this situation. Stay tuned.

95M3Racer
03-31-2010, 03:06 PM
TeamDI is still offering FSAE Discounts on all gear, including SFI rated gloves (SFI not required though), and SFI rated shoes (again, SFi not required). Also there are a fewsuits left available, mostly Reds, for FSAE teams, these are SFI 3.2A/5 rated. We've had a good number of teams take advantage of these deep discounts, if anyone needs anything please don't hesitate to call me (Steve). Info at www.teamdiusa.com (http://www.teamdiusa.com) or Stev At teamdiusa Dot com

I'm a FSAE alum and am trying to help out FSAE teams as much as possible, as I know the budgets are tighter than ever...but safety apparel should not be in the "cut out" parts of the budget.

95M3Racer
03-31-2010, 03:08 PM
TeamDI is still offering FSAE deals on all 2009 gear, including SFI rated gloves (SFI not required though), and SFI rated shoes (again, SFi not required). Also there are a few suits left available, mostly Reds, for FSAE teams, these are SFI 3.2A/5 rated. We've had a good number of teams take advantage of these deals, if anyone needs anything please don't hesitate to email me (Steve).steve At teamdiusa Dot com

I'm a FSAE alum and am trying to help out FSAE teams as much as possible, as I know the budgets are tighter than ever...but safety apparel should not be in the "cut out" parts of the budget.

Michael Royce
04-02-2010, 07:19 AM
There was a court hearing yesterday, and SFI and Impact Racing have come to a settlement. There is a press release on the SFI web site that says:
"JOINT PRESS RELEASE
April 1, 2010 - Impact Racing, LLC and SFI Foundation, Inc., in the litigation pending in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, have agreed that:
1. Impact Racing, LLC has provided sworn testimony that, upon review and investigation, no counterfeit SFI Conformance Labels have been used on Impact Racing products during the production years of 2009 and 2010.
2. Impact Racing, LLC has provided sworn testimony that, upon review and investigation, all Impact Racing products manufactured and sold during the production years 2009 and 2010 meet SFI specifications.
3. Based upon this sworn testimony, the decertification against Impact Racing products for the production years 2009 and 2010 is lifted. The decertification of the production years prior to 2009 and 2010 remains in effect. The parties will continue to work cooperatively in an effort to resolve the issues relating to decertification in these years.
4. Impact Racing stands behind the safety of all products it has manufactured and to which SFI Conformance Labels have been affixed. SFI will continue to monitor compliance with product specifications.
5. Impact Racing, LLC and SFI Foundation, Inc., will cooperate in determining whether any Impact Racing product bears a counterfeit SFI Conformance Label and if any safety issue exists in regard to products manufactured in years prior to 2009 and 2010.
6. If any Impact Racing product does not bear the date of manufacture the purchaser or user is instructed to immediately contact Impact Racing who will provide verification of the date of manufacture. Impact Racing, LLC will immediately notify SFI Foundation, Inc. of this occurrence. Impact Racing, LLC and SFI Foundation, Inc. will work with the sanctioning bodies to determine the best method for product users to present verification of the date of manufacture."

So, if you have belts or suits manufactured in 2009 or 2010, no problems. And we have to wait and see how the sanctioning bodies, including SAE will handle impact racing equipment made before 2009. Stay tuned.

95M3Racer
04-21-2010, 08:21 PM
If anyone doesn't want to take a chance I have SFI gloves, Shoes and Suits available at huge discount for FSAE teams, shoot me a message or email and I'll take care of you. Steve @ TeamDIUSA dot com

Charlie
04-25-2010, 04:39 PM
We get it, you posted three times now. Kindly don't spam the forum.

95M3Racer
04-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Actually, one was a double post...old forum software it doesn't autodelete or merge.

Not considering it spam when i am trying to save FSAE teams a lot of money http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Also, there have been several more "press releases" from IMPACt and SFI, check their websites, its going to be a long/ugly battle.