PDA

View Full Version : Burnout comp

Sarsippius
02-20-2005, 03:56 AM
After all the late nights getting ready for the competition it seems like an anti climax at the end just to pack up and go home. Don't get me wrong the after parties are always great!
I'm wondering if any other teams would be interested in a burnout comp at the end of the event? I know the US comp would be a little difficult to organise, but not everyone would volunteer and I think it would be a great way on the track for the teams to let their hair down.
Let us know what you think.

Sarsippius
02-20-2005, 03:56 AM
After all the late nights getting ready for the competition it seems like an anti climax at the end just to pack up and go home. Don't get me wrong the after parties are always great!
I'm wondering if any other teams would be interested in a burnout comp at the end of the event? I know the US comp would be a little difficult to organise, but not everyone would volunteer and I think it would be a great way on the track for the teams to let their hair down.
Let us know what you think.

BStoney
02-21-2005, 09:38 AM
Wonder how many teams have tyres to essentially throw away? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Who knows... probably a good time however http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

drivetrainUW-Platt
02-21-2005, 12:43 PM
appears that OSU isn't afraid to lay down some rubber from that doughnut video!

Homemade WRX
02-21-2005, 01:11 PM
if you are buying the tires...ODU is game

Wayne Gross
02-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I think we did our fair share of burnouts 2 years ago. The SAE officials didn't think it was a great as we did.... http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Steve Yao
02-22-2005, 05:05 PM
A couple cars from the Road & Track Shootout did some tandem donuts after the shootout on Sunday after FSAE04. If you wanted to do this, that would be when to do it.

Sarsippius
02-22-2005, 05:15 PM
I was thinking of having it at the beggining of the comp when everyone was going to watch it and when teams had the freshest rubber so they could do bigger burnouts till their tyres shredded! i know on our track we could use some more rubber being laid down on the skip pad. wadda you think?

Steve Yao
02-24-2005, 12:09 PM
I think it would be a huge waste of good(and expensive) tires. Not to mention breaking something right before competition for the sake of 'showboating' would be unbelieveably disappointing. I wouldn't want to be on a team that went for this(before competition).

Broderick
02-24-2005, 08:16 PM
I always thought it should be like Sport Compact Car magazines' Ultimate Street Car Challenge. Have a "Gross Display of Horsepower" event than is worth an optional 50pt event for first place. Also, defintly have it at the end of competition after endurance. Than again I don't know if anyone can compete with Ohio State after the '03 Comp.
Ryan

Matt N
02-24-2005, 09:27 PM
Hint to SEY:

They don't do drifting on expensive slicks...

I bet one could pick up a pair of 13" radials for not too much at all. If the intent is to burn them past the cords, why start with anything better?

Matt

Steve Yao
02-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Slicks or not, the professionals in drifting still use expensive tires, because part of the judging is on speed carried through the turn(s). Even in a kinetic friction condition, a stickier tire will give more grip than a cheap economy tire and allow higher speed drifts.

Cheap tires still means your open to breaking something however. And they are more likely to disintergrate and do damage themselves.

Denny Trimble
02-25-2005, 05:33 PM
You're not still seriously discussing this, are you?

Even if done off-site, this is just asking for trouble. I'm sure SAE wouldn't take too kindly to anything like this. I haven't heard of any repercussions of the R&T burnouts in 2004, but in 2003 Ohio State was all-but kicked out and disqualified for their practice track donuts.

Chris Boyden
02-25-2005, 09:03 PM
A burnout here and there can be cool. But I felt like the burnout by Ohio state in '03 was extremely stupid. I think that it showed extremely poor sportsmanship, was a blatant waste of money, and nothing more than a hot headed driver's pathetic attempt for attention after the suspension broke in the endurance. I think that Ohio State has an awesome car, one of the best IMHO. But, I can tell you that the Ohio State Engineering school lost a benefactor because of that display. He felt that if you have that kind of money to be wasting, that it wasn't going to be his. Anybody that's done FSAE can vouch for the need to blow off some steam, but that just sucked.

aniLD
02-26-2005, 06:55 AM
I saw the video and I was very impressed, the only problem was that there was no sound in the one i watched. One of the coolest FSAE related displays http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. There isnt much wrong with some good old fashioned fun. IMO its realy good value for money and I would love to see a burnout comp.

chavez
02-26-2005, 08:25 PM
i'm with denny on this one....

a burn-out competition would take away immensely from the competition's value, and if you didn't already realize this than you are wasting your own and everyone else's hardwork and dedication to this event

CHAVEz

BStoney
02-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Burnouts...OMG....

We are supposed to be racing, not burning rubber. Plus, if you are sitting at the line spinning circles and creating smoke, you'll have the other 100 guys blowing by you.

PLUS...if you have enough money to tear up some tyres, pass some of the love the other direction to the teams who can barely afford to make it to competition...

I am going to make the assumption that this is a null issue and a bogus topic....

NovaCat2005
02-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Every burnout competition needs a wet T-Shirt competition to compliment it, just remember that. Otherwise it's just a bunch of guys burning rubber with each other.

The only team making donuts at competition should be the winning team. They certainly deserve to make them, and I think they have earned the right to!

Frank
02-28-2005, 05:03 PM
don't forget the boat races (beer swilling contest)

http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ps we'll get you next time Aukland

Frank, QLD Uni

drivetrainUW-Platt
03-01-2005, 02:05 PM
mmm t-shirts....lol, there were a good number of hotties walkin around in the paddock area at competition........

CMURacing - Prometheus
03-01-2005, 03:57 PM
yea. and they all went to umr.

Wayne Gross
03-01-2005, 07:08 PM
In response to Chris' statement, granted it may not have been the most professional action, but I think you're going a little over board on your reactions. As for it being a blatant waste of money, all that was wasted was a set of tires that were already worn out, it's not like we put on a brand new set of tires just to go roast them off. And the driver worked things over with the FSAE officials, returning the following year as a steward for another team. I am also curious as to the benefactor we lost, I was not aware of this and would like any information you could offer, it you can.

ERIN BLONC
04-10-2005, 11:53 PM
why not carry it out where the acceleration competition is to lay down some more rubber? just a thought

95M3Racer
04-12-2005, 09:16 PM
How about a rented vehicle burnout competition? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

rjwoods77
04-12-2005, 11:11 PM
You all sound like the wimpering, dorky, pantie wearing engineering students that everyone at school laughs at. While the learning in this competition is vital, it is necessary to have some fun even at the expense of ticking off a few officials. It happens all the time in racing no matter how prestigeous the racing series. Your still in school. School is not real life. Bust a couple rules while you still have a chance. When you are grown up with wife, kids and bills out the ass, it will be fun to remember goofy crap you did in school while you are taking a dump on the toilet one depressing night in your future life. Live life. Ohio State: Do something else goofy just to spite them. What are they gunna do? Tell you not to come back? You are Ohio State for crap sake.

By the way. Everytime I rent a Ryder truck, after I am done, I take it to some parking lot, put oil under the tractive tire and brake stand it. More smoke than a NOPI event. So funny to see.

Ohlins through shaft dampers make me nut. I wonder who the first team with a bloated wallet and ego will show up with these and put them in the cost report for 10 bucks a pop.

Sup Scotty Doooo

Z
04-13-2005, 12:02 AM
Exactly what I was thinking, Rob.

Besides, in testing every team should be wearing out at least one (cheap) set of tyres per driver, just to learn car control.

osubeaver
04-13-2005, 12:13 AM
Well said, Rob. Sometimes people need to lighten up. Now I gotta go rent a ryder truck...

Nam Tran
04-13-2005, 10:02 AM
I'm with you, Rob.

In 2002, my school (which shall remain nameless except for that it is a University in California...and my location is Irvine) took two vans onto the track. It had just rained and I guess the volunteers were allowed to take their cars on the course for parade laps so that the course could dry off quicker. My teammates saw cars on course and they immediately filled up our two vans, one of them being our tow vehicle. They were waved onto the track by an official (I swear, it's on video somewhere) and ended up doing a few laps before pulling off.

Unfortunately I was trying to ask a team in the paddock to borrow a wrench and I missed the in-car fun, but I remember heading towards the fence and seeing a bunch of teams cheering us on every time the vans came around the corners.

After a scolding from the Stewards, we didn't think that we would be allowed to return to competition the next year, but even for that they didn't prohibit us from coming back.

Damn, I wish I still had the pictures from that. By chance, does anyone out there have those?

Hoosier Daddy
04-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Miss Kansas was SMOKIN'.

BTW peelies are cool... http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif to all you elitest party poopers out there.

james17
04-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Anybody asking for a burnout comp obviously didnt stay at the motel 6 last year. I think two or three university vans lost their rears over the course of two or three nights of "burnout comps". I'm trying to sleep and all i can hear is people yelling "its really loud, but it smells great, like rubber" and "i wonder what happens when the brakes fail?".

drivetrainUW-Platt
04-14-2005, 09:19 AM
wow, too bad we were only at our hotel for one nite, since we were workin 24/7 in the paddocks to finish our car, but we need to make sure that if cool stunts like this go down, they are accompanied by a video camera!!!!!

Frank
04-14-2005, 05:49 PM
rental burnouts huh?

try this game next time you rent a front wheel drive...

It's called "Stop at the lights without using the clutch."

Rain helps...

with heaps of luggage in the boot, and a slight gradient...

as you approach the red light (slowly in first gear), pull the hand brake, and stomp the gas.

the result is you slowly pull to a stop.. smoke pouring off the front wheels.. wait for the light, and then simply release the hand brake to drive off

http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Z
04-14-2005, 07:34 PM
Ummm?? All three of my front-drives have the handbrake on the front wheels...

Marshall Grice
04-14-2005, 11:00 PM
really? i've never seen a hand brake on the front of any car, front or rear drive.

Z
04-14-2005, 11:08 PM
Citroen Cx (1980), and GS (1975), and Subaru 4WD(1985). Thinking of ditching the Suby's front drive shafts (CV's wear out too fast), then I could apply handbrake and smoke the rear tyres!

Denny Trimble
04-14-2005, 11:45 PM
Yeah, all the subarus I've owned ('81 - 93) have front e-brakes. The new STi's (and maybe WRXs, I don't know) are rear e-brakes.

Fronts work better for actually stopping the car, but that's no fun http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dan G
04-15-2005, 09:54 AM
Anyone on here part of the "Great Silverdome Lake" fording club? Remember that 3' deep puddle on the West side of the lot last year, the one with the Accord buried up to the windshield? I was blasting through that in my Tacoma for a while, there were at least 5-10 other trucks doing the same thing. One guy had a mondo-diesel, the other was some team in their RV tow vehicle.

That was a blast.

Patrick W. Crane
04-15-2005, 12:55 PM
HAHAHHA, ya that was me and a few other UVic guys in teh RV! so much fun.

WE got a bit of a scare later though. when we pulled out to leave "smoke" started POURING out of the exhaust. then we realized that water had gotten in the exhuast and was turning to steam. Thought we blew up the engine for a second (till we realized it was still running anyway).

Anyone get pics?

Good times!

FSAEracer03
04-24-2005, 01:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homemade WRX:
if you are buying the tires...ODU is game </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hell yeah, Mikachu. I have an angle that might get us more points http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Antti Mikkonen
05-11-2005, 06:45 AM
Burnout competition is very good idea! We also support the Miss wet t-shirt competition. We'll hope to see you all in Detroit 2005!

Here is one video from our rubber burning from summer 2003.
Burnout (http://www.formula.stadia.fi/videot/vetaritesti.wmv)

Helsinki Polytechnic
Formula Engineering Team
www.formula.stadia.fi (http://www.formula.stadia.fi)
FINLAND

drivetrainUW-Platt
05-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Antti,
very well done, love the body work on that car, prob one of the best in fsae history. you do need to alternate rotation direction of those doughnuts so that you get even wear on the rear tires!!!!

Sarsippius
05-12-2005, 04:52 AM
You are a genius mate!!! Weren't you worried about hitting a wall or something?
Wouldn't we all like to see that by the top three teams at the end of the competition?
As Leyton would say "Come On"