PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience covering a frame using Aircraft Fabric?

Lyn Labahn UW-Madison
04-08-2005, 11:58 PM
I am in the process of learning how to cover our frame with aircraft fabric. For the time being, I have been practicing on our frame mockup that we constructed in the fall. I have to cover the frame itself in about two weeks and I want to look as good as possible. I am running into a couple problems that I am hoping you some you might have experience with. By the way I am using 1.7oz polyester fabric, with the Poly-Fiber system.

My first problem is with the tape I am using to finish at the edge of the tubes. The finishing tape has pinked edges, and they are still visible even after spraying on the Poly-Brush and Poly-Tone layers. I would like it to be totally smooth for asthetic reasons. I skipped the Poly-Spray UV protection layers in order to save weight because I don't need the covering job to last 30 years like an airplane. Do the edges normally show? Do I need to spay more layers until they are gone?

How hard does the fabric get when it is all done? I expected it to be somewhat stiffer than it is. I have a feeling it might be because I mixed in too much reducer with my other chemicals because I don't have the most accurate measuring methods at the moment.

If anyone can help me out, I will appreciate it!

Lyn Labahn UW-Madison
04-08-2005, 11:58 PM
I am in the process of learning how to cover our frame with aircraft fabric. For the time being, I have been practicing on our frame mockup that we constructed in the fall. I have to cover the frame itself in about two weeks and I want to look as good as possible. I am running into a couple problems that I am hoping you some you might have experience with. By the way I am using 1.7oz polyester fabric, with the Poly-Fiber system.

My first problem is with the tape I am using to finish at the edge of the tubes. The finishing tape has pinked edges, and they are still visible even after spraying on the Poly-Brush and Poly-Tone layers. I would like it to be totally smooth for asthetic reasons. I skipped the Poly-Spray UV protection layers in order to save weight because I don't need the covering job to last 30 years like an airplane. Do the edges normally show? Do I need to spay more layers until they are gone?

How hard does the fabric get when it is all done? I expected it to be somewhat stiffer than it is. I have a feeling it might be because I mixed in too much reducer with my other chemicals because I don't have the most accurate measuring methods at the moment.

If anyone can help me out, I will appreciate it!

Dr. Bob Woods
04-09-2005, 04:48 AM
Aircraft fabric... good choice.

Go to a local airport, maybe a smaller airport, and ask around for someone that has some experience with it. Or contact the local EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) to find someone. There is some techique to glueing on the fabric as there is in doping it. You should be able to find detailed instructions for the whole process. But your best bet is to find some antique or sport plane guy.

The short answer to your questions is that you need to put several layers of the dope on the fabric. As you put on more, the edges start to disappear. You will probably still see the pinking edges, but you can make them smooth with multiple layers. Spray the dope on and let it dry for about 2 hours, then put on another coat. Every third coat, do some light sanding. Be very careful in sanding places that have a hard or sharp object below the fabric.

When you paint it, be sure to put something in the paint to make the paint coat flexible.

Best wishes.

Dr. Bob Woods
UTA Faculty Advisor

Greg H
04-09-2005, 08:31 PM
I was actually driving one of our cars today that had aircraft fabric on it. I don't think you'll ever be able to get it tight enough and if you run it up to shoulder height then your drivers will definitely have some elbows poking through. We also found you probably want some primer on it before you paint it or it's not going to look very good. We decided to stop using it for glued and riveted aluminum panels that add more rigidity and are pretty light as well.

gkiwada
04-27-2005, 10:01 AM
We used aircraft fabric (Poly fiber) on some of our car this year and are now trying to paint it.

I bought some Aero-thane, because we wanted a high-gloss paint, but our school won't let us use it do to the chemicals it contains.

I was wondering what additives there are to make automotive paint more flexible, or if there are some other high-gloss paint options.

Thanks
George Kiwada

coleasterling
07-20-2011, 10:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg H:...I don't think you'll ever be able to get it tight enough and if you run it up to shoulder height then your drivers will definitely have some elbows poking through. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How tight are you thinking it should be? We've used it forever and you could play drums on ours. You won't find anything close to as light as this stuff!

BrendonD
07-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Foiled by the spambot... haha.

harrywindson
10-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Well,I have the experience of aircraft fabrics but want to say that I enjoyed a lot.But,I am interested it doing it again.