PDA

View Full Version : helmets for F-SAE-A

Micko..
09-02-2004, 11:55 PM
just wondering what helmets are approved for F SAE-A. the rule book says snell or british standard, but FSAE is a CAMS event and the cams manual says you have australian standard 1698 and a few others, there is like a $200 difference between a snell and an australian standard 1698 and we are pretty tight for cash any help please.
cheers

Micko..
09-02-2004, 11:55 PM
just wondering what helmets are approved for F SAE-A. the rule book says snell or british standard, but FSAE is a CAMS event and the cams manual says you have australian standard 1698 and a few others, there is like a $200 difference between a snell and an australian standard 1698 and we are pretty tight for cash any help please.
cheers

Frank
09-03-2004, 12:21 AM
yes you can use AS 1698

we did and we are very glad of it

because the helmets get regularly abused, (and never "used")

regards

Frank

ps if you want confirmation of that, ask Pat Clarke to put it in writing

PatClarke
09-03-2004, 06:06 PM
Miko, (And anyone else interested) what Frank has said is quite correct.
AS1698 helmets in good condition, unmodified and with the accreditation sticker still attached, are acceptable for the FSAE-A comp along with Snell, BS and the other standards listed in the book.
Note, the AS1698 accreditation sticker is a tamper proof sticker on the outside of the helmet. If you remove it you may well have difficulty getting the helmet approved for the event.
If a team wants to use an AS1698 helmet in the US or UK events, they should seek approval beforehand. Most helmets have multiple standards, so in real life, it is seldom a problem.
Pat

Frank
09-06-2004, 05:29 PM
but i guess that it is a "get what you pay for situation" as AS 1698 only helmets are crap

Bulldog R
09-08-2004, 10:38 AM
I think the tech sheet used by the tech's at competition have the exact list of what helmets are exceptable and if i last recall it was available on the sae website

Joe

Frank
09-10-2004, 12:30 AM
this is for the aussie event,
there is an "australian standard" we are talking about here