PDA

View Full Version : University of Newcastle, UK

DaveH
05-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Here it is, the wheels are finally on the 2004 Formula Student Car from the University of Newcastle.

Its our first ever entry, hence its probably not the smallest or lightest car wou will ever see, but it should get us to the competition.

All comments gratefully recieved!

Cheers

Dave

RiNaZ
05-13-2004, 02:25 PM
the cockpit seems kinda tight ... what is your total wheelbase and track width?

DaveH
05-14-2004, 05:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RiNaZ:
the cockpit seems kinda tight ... what is your total wheelbase and track width? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wheelbase is 1580, front track is 1210 and rear track 1110.

Steering wheel is a bit close, but you live and learn.

Big D
02-05-2005, 02:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaveH:
Wheelbase is 1580, front track is 1210 and rear track 1110.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

are you measuring to the centerline, or the outside on that?

Ashley Denmead
02-05-2005, 02:16 AM
nice job guys, just one thing u may wish to consider.....what about laying the driver back to reduce Cog and then u can dramatically bring the height of your roll-hoop down which will again reduce Cog...will also solve your steering wheel problem!....sheesh looks like a win win situation!

syoung
02-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Was just going to post a fairly lengthy reply on this but noticed it's an old thread, d'oh!

I take it Newcastle has given a bit more cockpit space all round in the new car? Bet there was a pretty tired driver or two in the endurance - having the wheel that close must be knackering.

Ashley, you'll notice that with the driver's knees where they were, there probably wasn't much they could have done about it (except for find a shorter driver)!

DaveH
02-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Big D - they are centreline measurements to everything.

Ashley - you're right on all counts, and there are hundreds more things we should have done differently too.

Simon - From the pictures i've seen (i'm a jealous graduate now) the new Newcastle car has the driver much more horizontal, and the wheel much further away. Although I can't remember any complaints about tired arms from the drivers, possibly because the fuel pump packed up and we didn't finish the endurance!

And it's very odd to look back at these pictures now, we thought we were nearly there at this point, but it was only the beginning....

Cheers,

Dave

PS. Neil, Kev, Andy etc. looking forward to seeing some gen 2 pictures in the next few weeks!

D J Yates
02-09-2005, 06:31 AM
Hey,

The new space frame should be done in a couple of weeks, i'll get some pics posted if i can. Overall, it's much smaller, but should just be big enough to sqeeze Niel in.

I'm not sure what all of the hundered different things would be, because you certainly got a lot right. I'll just say that this year so far hasn't been easy.

Dave, I know it's short notice but were having the NR3 (formerly GEN3) Formula Student conference next week, Tuesday (14th) afternoon. Your welcome to come along and see our plans and progress.