PDA

View Full Version : Variable Length Intake Manifold or Dual plenum

Joy Pathak
10-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Hey... Does anyone have any possible dimensions...or even better some basic CAD drawings..on either a Variable Length Intake Manifold or a Dual Plenum intake manifld(possibly log design).

I have seen a few cars out there during the competitions with these features. Just wondering if anyone has any possible literature on it. I have tried everything I could find in various SAE articles.

This is purely research/developmental... Any suggestion/help of any sort would be EXTREMELY helpfull.
Appreciate it.

If anyone has worked on this previously...Your inputs would be of high importance to me.

Thank you. and I will highly Appreciate it.

PS: If possible.... Opinions/suggestions on material?
Nylon 20? Carbonfibre/carbonium?

Anyone have any history with SLS sytem to make prototypes?

EDIT!!*****
If someone has used Variable length Intake Manifold..or a Dual plenum intake manifold...
Could you tell me
A)What engineering struggles did you encounter?
B)What were the pro's and cons?
C) Is it really worth putting in all the effort in researching and doing analysis...What is the ammount of gains that you can possibly achieve?

Joy Pathak
10-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Hey... Does anyone have any possible dimensions...or even better some basic CAD drawings..on either a Variable Length Intake Manifold or a Dual Plenum intake manifld(possibly log design).

I have seen a few cars out there during the competitions with these features. Just wondering if anyone has any possible literature on it. I have tried everything I could find in various SAE articles.

This is purely research/developmental... Any suggestion/help of any sort would be EXTREMELY helpfull.
Appreciate it.

If anyone has worked on this previously...Your inputs would be of high importance to me.

Thank you. and I will highly Appreciate it.

PS: If possible.... Opinions/suggestions on material?
Nylon 20? Carbonfibre/carbonium?

Anyone have any history with SLS sytem to make prototypes?

EDIT!!*****
If someone has used Variable length Intake Manifold..or a Dual plenum intake manifold...
Could you tell me
A)What engineering struggles did you encounter?
B)What were the pro's and cons?
C) Is it really worth putting in all the effort in researching and doing analysis...What is the ammount of gains that you can possibly achieve?

VFR750R
10-24-2006, 07:18 PM
I could be wrong here, but considering most teams arn't at this level yet on purpose or not, there isn't alot of information floating about. I don't think anyone will offer up anything in this area since it is so new a performance variable for FSAE.

There have been a couple of posts lately on this subject, try a search and maybe come back with some more specific questions on either areas of the design or manufacturing where someone doesn't have to reveal what direction they've gone in their own designs.

Garlic
10-24-2006, 08:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VFR750R:
I don't think anyone will offer up anything in this area since it is so new a performance variable for FSAE.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This has been in FSAE on and off starting around 10 years ago!

But to the original poster; if you are a third year engineering student, then create your own concept. Asking for input on your own design is a great thing to do. To ask for dimensions! CAD drawings!? is just ridiculous. Also, try searching here.

Joy Pathak
10-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Hey thanks for the input. I have been searching around. I just thought if I could get a vague drawing I would possibly know the direction i should be heading in. I didnt expect much response in drawings department anyways.
I been looking at the various other posts in different threads made to similar topics and I have kinda gotten a gyst of what its about.
I am going to start coming up with some designs and stuff and post again to see if anyone has some opinions on it.

Once again thanks for the input.

Maverik
10-25-2006, 08:18 AM
Engineering struggles... they aren't so different from normal design of an intake manifold. The only difference is that you are eliminating the fixed variable of runner length, so ideally you just need to come up with a way to vary the runner length. There are many ideas, whether you have telescoping runners, variable plenum, constant plenum, etc... The big challenge will be in developing the control system and motor selection to manipulate the intake. Fabrication can also be a challenge, but there are plenty of ideas out there you can use.

Joy Pathak
10-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Telescoping runners was what I was thinking about. I am trying to do more research on it and as to what motor I would be beneficial.

I am trying to get some information from Yamaha since they are doing something liek that one their new R1 bikes...Its a chip controlled variable runner length manifold.

You mentioned there are alot of ideas out there to use....any links you would recommend where I can get more detailed information on this...
Its getting real hard to research this since it isnt that popular i guess?
I found some information on the BMW car...that uses it..but thats a very complicated technology..and i think their are using variable plenum...
Yamaha doesnt have much information out there on their manifold since the bike hasnt even been on the market yet...

Any info would be highly appreciated...

Maverik
10-25-2006, 11:37 AM
BMW actually makes a pretty slick intake that is a constant volume plenum, just varying runner length. You already mentioned the R1 intake, but since you can't get your hands on one, Id recommend going to a BMW dealer and seeing if you can look at one of the plenums. It takes a decent amount of work to really come up with a working design, but base everything on fundamental fluids principles and youll be ok.

Joy Pathak
10-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Hmmm... Any particular software other than Ricardo/CATIA where i can analyze/design a prototype...that you would recommend?

any recommendations on motor/chip?

Maverik
10-25-2006, 02:45 PM
I know you are new to the forum, maybe to your program, but I can't really give you any more advice without giving away a lot of hard work I had to do. Good luck with your design. Seriously though, dont look at programs and hope they do what you want... if you really understand what you are doing, a program like Ricardo should only be helpful in fine tuning your intake.

Joy Pathak
10-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Hey no worries. I totally understand.
I am new to this. I will be honest. All the information i have of intakes is from my work at Siemens VDO Automotive on 4.7L intake manifold...and it is nothing like the intake i plan to achieve...

Once again..I still appreciate everything you did tell me.