PDA

View Full Version : Least Painful way to gather FSAE W Endurance Track Map

Spetsnazos
05-06-2011, 04:27 PM
I am intending to gather the track map data from this years FSAE West. I would like to confirm my lap simulation and see how close I get to real world results.

How have you guys done this in the past?

If the Aero team could be useful for once and let us borrow their plane to see the track from overhead...

Cheers

wweissin
05-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Do you have any form of data logging? You could do it with GPS or a less fancy way is to use an accelerometer and some math.

woodsy96
05-06-2011, 06:21 PM
The last couple of years we have gone around the track in Australia with a 30m tape measure. Takes about an hour for 3 people(two people to measure and one to record). Our main purpose however is to make an LFS track.

MartyB
05-07-2011, 12:39 AM
@woodsy96

Did you guys ever end up finishing last years track map for LFS? We've still got your 2009 track map which is awesome fun.

Chapo
05-07-2011, 05:05 AM
Any chance of getting one of those track maps from you guys? (assuming that they are exportable) Should be fun to play with.

Spetsnazos
05-07-2011, 09:07 AM
I have my doubts on the data logging this year. We are focusing on much more pressing issues and I haven't had a chance to even see the data logging in action to confirm its accuracy.

How were you guys measuring the the corner radii with the tape?

Getting straight line distances seems fairly straight forward, however, I want to capture the arc length as well as the radius.

Cheers

Cardriverx
05-07-2011, 12:58 PM
I would also like an LFS track map from a old endurance if anyone has one, would be fun.

Spetsnazos
05-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Cardriverx:
I would also like an LFS track map from a old endurance if anyone has one, would be fun.

sign me up too http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Zac
05-07-2011, 03:14 PM
if you have a smart phone or handheld gps you can use that to record the track during the course walk.

cvargas
05-08-2011, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Zac:
if you have a smart phone or handheld gps you can use that to record the track during the course walk.

That is the easiest way to do it.

Spetsnazos
05-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Santorican:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zac:

That is the easiest way to do it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just downloaded a few apps. Going to try them out this weekend and let you guys know which ones aren't worthless.

Cheers