PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump and injectors

plak424
03-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Hey everyone, I'm on the university of hartford team this year and we're trying to get fuel injection up and running on our car after several years of using a carb. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what fuel pump to use and what injectors. We're running a yamaha yfz 450 and we've been trying to use a walbro 43.5 psi pump with a 155lph rc racing injector without much luck.

plak424
03-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Hey everyone, I'm on the university of hartford team this year and we're trying to get fuel injection up and running on our car after several years of using a carb. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what fuel pump to use and what injectors. We're running a yamaha yfz 450 and we've been trying to use a walbro 43.5 psi pump with a 155lph rc racing injector without much luck.

Some Guy
03-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Are you sure you dont mean 155cc/min? What do you use for an ECU, have you checked to make sure your ignition is setup right? You can start an engine with pretty broad range of AFRs, so if everything else is right that combo would be OK from just what I can gather from your post (if you meant cc/min and not lph).

sent you a pm

plak424
03-21-2011, 05:26 AM
Yeah, 155cc/min, 155lph would be a lot of gas lol. But we're reasonably sure that we've got our timing and ignition figured out because we've gotten the motor to turn over on carb cleaner or when we've opened the injector a bunch of times to load it up then start it. We're using a PE ecu.

Some Guy
03-21-2011, 07:23 AM
It is very important to check the timing with a light. Get an engine to seem like it wants to start is very easy to do even if your timing is horrid. That said, it could be as simple as too little cranking fuel from the way you are describing it. You may also be well served by giving a call to PE.

B Lewis @ PE Engine Management
03-21-2011, 06:30 PM
What are your open times when you are trying to start the engine? Look at the top of the Monitor in the blue header under "Fuel" while the engine is cranking over with the starter.

If it runs by spraying carb cleaner than you are not getting any fuel in the engine.

Are the plugs wet after trying to get the engine to start?