PDA

View Full Version : Steering

amyjenks
03-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Hi there, I have been given the job of designing the steering system for next years salford university car.

just wondering if any teams had any previous steering projects/research that they would be willing to share.
Unfortuantely I am so busy with the rest of the car, I would just like to get a foothold rather than start from scratch.

we have a range of other projects for next years car if any teams would like to see them. So let us know if you need any help.

cheers guys appreciate the help
amy
xxxx

amyjenks
03-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Hi there, I have been given the job of designing the steering system for next years salford university car.

just wondering if any teams had any previous steering projects/research that they would be willing to share.
Unfortuantely I am so busy with the rest of the car, I would just like to get a foothold rather than start from scratch.

we have a range of other projects for next years car if any teams would like to see them. So let us know if you need any help.

cheers guys appreciate the help
amy
xxxx

Drew Price
03-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Amy,

Welcome aboard.

Before the onslaught from anyone else begins, I will direct you to:

Please Read. (http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/125607348/m/72110779141)

If you are looking for general design parameters, geometry, ratios, etc., there are many chassis design books and publications available cheap or free (look up CHASSIS ENGINEERING by Herb Adams on GoogleBooks), and there is lots more by searching through past posts.

If you are looking for clarifications, feedback on a proposed geometry, control theory, or etc., then post with specific questions.

It is much said, but underappreciated, that there are now 91 pages with 50 forum topics each of information here, so it is likely that just what you are looking for has been covered, and is just waiting for you to uncover it.

Best,
Drew

exFSAE
03-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Steering is critical.

Make it RIGID.

Steering should be integrated into suspension design.

Include heaps of lock.

As a suggestion though in the future.. is better to ask specific questions for input rather than just "So... whats up with steering?" type general stuff.

amyjenks
03-11-2008, 04:38 PM
hi there thanks alot for the help guys

have taken on notice of your suggestions

just a quick question, we have the track layout for the races is there a way of looking at the radiuses etc of the corners to select the optimum or maximum lock to lock turning range of the front wheels.

again i appreciate help greatly

amy

Davo
03-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi there

Have a look at the rule book for stuff like that.

5.6.3 Autocross Course Specifications & Speeds

This section tells you the kinds of corner and what radius you'll find on the track.

Composites Guy
03-12-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm not going to help you with the book learning stuff... but here are some practical suggestions.

Use a rack that has bushing/supports far away from the centerline of the car. Those cute little BRT style racks meant for drag cars have a lot of slop in all directions and make for a sub-quality FSAE rack. Use quality u-joints... I suggest apex joints like those in your favorite aircraft catalog. Use a quality quick release... I suggest Racetech brand out of England as a cheap but excellent quality version of the same quick release from SPA. Slop is like a parasite that turns a good steering design on paper into a wobbly mess on the car... avoid it at all costs.