PDA

View Full Version : compression adjustment with turbo

Lovesong
11-12-2004, 04:56 AM
what are the problems with lees compression rate in the engine? are more the problems that the succesful with the turbo and less compression rate? i think that the best it is running this with a wastegate and not touch the engine. is this true? thanks.

Lovesong
11-12-2004, 04:56 AM
what are the problems with lees compression rate in the engine? are more the problems that the succesful with the turbo and less compression rate? i think that the best it is running this with a wastegate and not touch the engine. is this true? thanks.

Chris Davin
11-12-2004, 06:59 AM
It is possible to run a standard 600cc engine with a turbo without adjusting the compression ratio. The detonation limits seem to be around 6 psi with 100 octane gas and 10 psi for E85, both with no intercoolers. It is absolutely necessary to run a wastegate for this application, but most of the turbos one would consider have integral wastegates.

I'm not sure if any team has had success lowering the compression ratio. It's definitely possible to have a decent engine package without changing compression, but if you want to put down the big boost numbers, that's the only way to go.

Konstantin
11-18-2004, 08:57 AM
The fuel at Formula Student is 98 Octane and not 100 octane any more

Konstantin