PDA

View Full Version : who is done?

1975BMW2002
04-29-2004, 03:48 AM
We are about a week from having a running car. Who else is ready? Hoping to break something before competition so we can fix it on our time.

Bill Elliott

1975BMW2002
04-29-2004, 03:48 AM
We are about a week from having a running car. Who else is ready? Hoping to break something before competition so we can fix it on our time.

Bill Elliott

Denny Trimble
04-29-2004, 08:44 AM
A racecar is never done. We've been chasing bugs and breaking things for four weeks now.

I wish we could say "we're done, we've been sleeping in the last month". That's what June is for. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

albrewe
04-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I am going to have to agree with Denny. We are still trying to finish our 1998 car. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Denny Trimble
04-29-2004, 03:03 PM
Was that the single with a 4 person team? I remember talking to those guys in Pontiac. They did really well for such a small team!

albrewe
04-29-2004, 03:18 PM
It is a single, but I don't know how many people were on the team. This is the car though.

http://me.unm.edu/~fsae/teams/2000/pictures/fsaecar2.jpg

They took 2nd in cost and 4th in skidpad...

Marc Jaxa-Rozen
04-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Not done yet, but we took the car out on a whim and got a solid hour of driving without breaking anything (those tire marks on the taxiway tarmac are gonna be hard to explain, not that we have anything to do with that, of course. I swear I saw that Cessna pull a few handbrake runs)

Needless to say, we're pretty ****ing stoked right now.

Marc Jaxa-Rozen
École Nationale d'Aérotechnique

mizzouracing
04-30-2004, 04:02 PM
University of Missouri-Columbia has been driving/tuning their new car since April 5, 2004. We have had some problems but know they are all fixed.

RFR Joe
04-30-2004, 08:22 PM
We've been driving, testing, and tuning since April 2nd. Taking full advantage of our data acq. system for the drivers' and car's benefit. Its always an iterative process though.... few small things along the way to fix or improve. (mainly trying to put the car on a diet right now before we strip it down and polish it up for the competition http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

-Joe Cowin
Rutgers Formula Racing (http://rfr.rutgers.edu)
pics and vids (http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~klami/RFR/)

Denny Trimble
04-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Just got some paint, and quickly reassembled:
http://students.washington.edu/dennyt/fsae/Montlake1.JPG

James Waltman
04-30-2004, 11:03 PM
Denny,
That looks great. Maybe we'll get to see it on Sunday - we're not quite ready yet tonight. How did you get it "quickly reassembled"? We've been putting ours back together forever. To be fair, we are tying up all the loose ends that had been neglected up to this point.

Denny Trimble
04-30-2004, 11:24 PM
Thanks James. We didn't take it very far apart, just the suspension off and engine out. A rod bearing failure last Sunday helped motivate us to pull the engine anyways. That's an average of 1.5 engine pulls per week now I think http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif We're getting good.

We still have lots of details to finalize too. Hope you make it down on Sunday! We'll be driving early Saturday, maybe even with some sleep beforehand.

James Waltman
04-30-2004, 11:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> maybe even with some sleep beforehand. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'll sleep when I'm dead.
-Warren Zevon?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>or June, which ever comes first.

Big Bird
05-01-2004, 12:59 AM
Denny,

Well done, looks really nice. Simple, low, the way an FSAE car should be. Great work.

We couldn't get an entry into FSAE US, so FStudent is our big international venture this year. But we are buttering up the uni for a US trip next year - fingers crossed.

All the best to yourself and everyone else getting ready for the comp.

Cheers

Angry Joe
05-02-2004, 01:31 PM
Lehigh is done. Very little driving time so far, but much more to come in the next two weeks. Oh, 280 lbs wet. We all got tired of picking up the old cars...

Lehigh University
"Diffs are for Girls Racing"

Joe

SeanZasada
05-02-2004, 03:22 PM
is that a typo? 280lbs? what size engine are you guys running?

Jon @ Electromotive, Inc.
05-02-2004, 03:24 PM
We should have our car rolling by the end of the weekend and be drive testing next weekend. I know that's cutting it close, but that's the way it goes.

Angry Joe
05-02-2004, 04:44 PM
No typo, competition ready we're hoping for under 300. We're using a yamaha 426. And (coughing) a solid (cough) axle...

Joe

ethanL007
05-02-2004, 05:49 PM
First year team, we had everything together minus bodywork, a chain, and some frame welding. We had our engine (2001 R6 donated by RPI) in the car breathing through the restrictor above 13,000 (no load, no muffler). Trying to finish welding and painting tonight, Drivable mid-week.

Angry Joe, we are running a spool. So we might be "diffs are for girls racing jr", And we easily weigh twice as much.

Denny Trimble
05-03-2004, 08:55 AM
Joe,
How did they end up keeping the chain aligned (if they used a chain)? Did they do the equivalent of an ATV suspension, i.e. infinite rear roll stiffness? Might be workable with a very high front roll stiffness. It will be interesting to see how the car does at that weight!

Angry Joe
05-03-2004, 09:09 AM
We have a swingarm that has some flex to it, so we have some roll articulation but it is stiff enough to keep the chain on. Chain tensioner is a bigger issue, we've put a lot of thought into it but it still is having headaches...

Will98Cobra
05-04-2004, 09:23 AM
Well we have our car done!!! Been done for about two weeks, ran into some ECU problems but all is good now. We are really a first year team and i am happy with our outcome. The car came to about 480 wet and the car is extremely solid.

See everyone in Pontiac

Michael Jones
05-04-2004, 08:31 PM
Been done and driving since Feb. 1. Recently torn down, painted and rebuilt, with competition parts 95% done and all final iterations frozen of Thursday.

Body still under construction, but that's not only par for the course, it's ahead of previous years and may even beat our 2002 record on that.

A few things we're glad we found but not many - it's been pretty solid especially given the number of hours it's been driven to date (over 100 I think).

We weigh in at 89 lbs. with a fiberglass replica of a Yamaha YZF600R case, no axles whatsoever, and most other parts created from papier maché or simply ignored as irrelevant given our powertrain package.

Horsepower and torque comes from our lack of floor pan and the fact that our drivers have been training by watching too many Flinstones cartoons. We hope that the steroid regimen and continued supply of black market ephedra will continue to bring down times - although I must admit, our 10.582 second acceleration times are starting to worry me some.

We certainly expect to get lowest cost, since the whole contraption was built from proceedings from a local 4-H bake sale that we stole when they weren't looking.

And, if we get the Ricardo people really, really baked, perhaps we're in the running for the powertrain award.

Otherwise, we're more or less fucked.

Denny Trimble
05-05-2004, 12:50 PM
I think Michael has provided us with more evidence of the harmful effects of polyester resin exposure, compounded by sleep deprivation.

Just think, everyone: June = SLEEP!
and fix my daily drivers, which I've replaced twice instead of repaired
and catch up with the girlfriend
and finish course work
and work on my thesis
all while bursting with ideas for the new car design... crap.

leclercjs
05-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Hey Mark,

could we come Sunday and run with you at ENA.

Marc Jaxa-Rozen
05-05-2004, 07:41 PM
Sounds great, check your PMs http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Marc Jaxa-Rozen
École Nationale d'Aérotechnique

Beast
05-05-2004, 08:56 PM
FL Tech drove today for the first time. Dropped almost 200 lbs from previous year.

Can't wait to fix up my own car, the D1-SC has been begging for bigger injectors and a decent clutch for months now. Making power is a lot easier than saving weight.

1975BMW2002
05-06-2004, 06:57 AM
Well, we should be done tonight if all goes well. Just little things left to do here and there. Safety wire, install the sway bars, put the wheels on. Mount the seat and belts. Hopefully we will be driving it tomorrow night. I just picked up the tires yesterday. I am amazed at how sticky the R25 compound is. I can use it to pick up envelopes off the ground.

We have a list of stuff to do on our wall that is constantly updating--gave up on the Gantt chart weeks ago. At the bottom is Sleep. It has been crossed out and replaced with DRIVE. I can't wait.

It's looking closer to 500 pounds now. heavier than we hoped for, but I think it is solid enough.

Good Luck, and looking forward to seeing you all in 13 days.

Bill Elliott

Ninja2
05-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Hello all

Ive never posted here before, but thought that I might as well give it a try. Seeing as all you guys are more or less done I thought I would humour you with the tale of Chalmers Formula Student Team 2004: We have an all new team this year (with an international flavour) and started designing our car for Formula Student in March! Things arent going too badly though, but we arent able to do as good a job as we would have liked.

Hope we get to your stage by mid july.

Cheers

Ciaran Branney
Team Leader

Denny Trimble
05-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Ninja2,
I'm sorry. Good luck! I hope you're going for a mild evolution and quick build...

Ninja2
05-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Mild evolution and quick build? I wish! We dont have any documentation from last years car, or the car itself. All new team, starting from scratch. What can I say? Its stressful and almost fun http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cheers for the Good Luck! Hope your car is running great.

Ciaran Branney

1975BMW2002
05-06-2004, 02:10 PM
If the last guys who built the car are really into cars(and they should be if they built a car) they should be more than happy to come in and give you guys a clue on important theories and practices. Perhaps opinions on ways to do things, helpful hints, etc...

Our last car was 12 years ago, but we managed to find people that did the program back in the 80's, and they have helped quite a bit. Our preliminary numbers are looking good at least.

Bill Elliott

Ninja2
05-06-2004, 02:20 PM
I dont think that this is really the place to get into it, but lets just say that "more than happy" doesnt exactly describe the previous teams attitude to helping us out.

Ciaran

Michael Jones
05-11-2004, 07:21 AM
That sucks, Ciaran. It's great to have alumni support when you can get it.

The 1989 team is planning to invade competition this year for a 15th anniversary reunion. People older than I am - what a concept. Sounds like they're planning to have fun too. Should be interesting. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif