PDA

View Full Version : Resistance on the accelerator pedal

Nivek
03-20-2011, 07:07 PM
We just finished full installation of our pedal box, and we realize the spring constants we calculated are too weak to the liking on the accelerator pedal.

We are using 2 torsion springs, a right hand and left hand wound, one on each side. They are 180 degree torsion springs, that are pre-wound 90 degrees at the starting position. I can't seem to find the specs on them currently, but anyways, what do you guys use for resistance, and how much resistance do you aim for?

Nivek
03-20-2011, 07:07 PM
We just finished full installation of our pedal box, and we realize the spring constants we calculated are too weak to the liking on the accelerator pedal.

We are using 2 torsion springs, a right hand and left hand wound, one on each side. They are 180 degree torsion springs, that are pre-wound 90 degrees at the starting position. I can't seem to find the specs on them currently, but anyways, what do you guys use for resistance, and how much resistance do you aim for?

Damon Pipenberg
03-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Why do you care what other teams use? Why not test a few springs and determine what your drivers like best?

Either way, I would recommend to have most, or all, of the spring tension on the throttle body, not the pedal itself. If you have a lot of spring tension in the pedal, it can apply pressure (rather than tension) to your throttle cable and may cause issues in the future. Also, if you only have springs in the throttle body, it is easy to tell from the feel of the pedal if the cable is sticking, and this can alert you to problems before the throttle actually gets stuck open.

Nivek
03-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Oh I forgot to mention it is electric so the only natural resistance is a potentiometer, which is negligible

So the only resistance comes from the springs

Adambomb
03-21-2011, 06:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nivek:
Oh I forgot to mention it is electric so the only natural resistance is a potentiometer, which is negligible

So the only resistance comes from the springs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you read the rules to see if this is legal?

wweissin
03-21-2011, 01:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nivek:

So the only resistance comes from the springs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you saying that you are running drive by wire? Or, that your throttle position sensor is on the pedal? If the latter is the case then may I ask why you chose that location?

Some Guy
03-21-2011, 01:42 PM
I think he means he is making an electric go cart, they were asking about torsen diffs in the for sale section for that project.

There is no straight answer to this. As the first response said, our team just uses the pair of return springs we have on the TB.