PDA

View Full Version : Motec M400 Amplifiers

damienkennedy
02-25-2011, 02:00 AM
Hi,

We are starting to wire up out M400 on our K3 gsxr 600. Motec specify you need an amplifier to power the coils and recommend the Dual Bosch Module. The stock loom doesnt seem to need amplifiers. Is there any other amplifiers people are running out there for the motec?

Cheers
Damien

damienkennedy
02-25-2011, 02:00 AM
Hi,

We are starting to wire up out M400 on our K3 gsxr 600. Motec specify you need an amplifier to power the coils and recommend the Dual Bosch Module. The stock loom doesnt seem to need amplifiers. Is there any other amplifiers people are running out there for the motec?

Cheers
Damien

murpia
02-25-2011, 08:29 AM
It's not the stock loom that does not require amplifiers, it's the stock ECU...

If you are changing to an ECU that does need amplifiers, then save yourself some grief and just go with the recommended ones...

Regards, Ian

jd74914
02-25-2011, 09:39 AM
I second Ian's thoughts.

Technically you can make your own amplifier from some transistors, but I would not recommend that method. We were trying to save cost by similarly sized transistors to those in the Bosch modules, but when wiring accidentally shorted and consequently fried the logic level drivers on our ECU.

The Bosch modules are pretty robust and really not that expensive when considering that they have OEM-level reliability. Don't do like we did and fry an ECU using non-recomended amplifiers.

DOA
02-26-2011, 09:16 AM
As said, buy the suggested amplifier. We have an ex MD from Motec Uk at our uni and he and one of our other lecturers are constantly arguing about the daftness of Motec insisting on not integrating the amplifiers into the ECU when most other manufacturers are doing it nowadays, especially when the cost is so minimal to integrate them and the real effects of doing it this way are minimal under most circumstances. Dont bother with building your own, it may be incredibly cheap to do but teh risk isnt worth it.

Charlie
02-28-2011, 05:21 AM
If they are the same as the M4, which I think they are, you can get an aftermarket (non Bosch) for considerably cheaper. or you can hunt in a junkyard.

The P/N we used was for a 97-01 Audi A4. 97-98 Audi A8, 98-99 VW Passat or 99-00 VW Beetle with the 1.8T engine.

Rockauto.com shows an aftermarket PN 7122 for $125.89.

In 2003 I got us an aftermarket version just to have a spare, but then we swapped our Bosch to the 2004 car and the aftermarket spare to the old car, and it ran fine for the last 8 years...

Fulcrum
02-28-2011, 07:18 AM
We used a HUCO 13 8055 (4D0905351) module with our M400.

Its similar to the Bosch 211 Module . As Charlie said you will find it in old Audi A4's, A8's, VW Jetta's and old Passat's.

-
Inder Singh Sehra.
Orion Racing 08-10 Alumni.

damienkennedy
02-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Cheers for replies. Its not that we are trying to skimp on cost, it was more me getting my head around the how the stock loom doesnt need them but the motec does

So the stock ecu obviously has them built in and the motec needs external amps.

Id say we will go with the Bosch ones. Cheers for replies

Some Guy
03-01-2011, 02:22 PM
If you do go with the bosch one be sure you are doing something to keep it cool. I believe that when they are installed in the car they come out of the heat sink for it sits in the airbox of the car. Sitting there idling with wasted spark (if you can call 2.5k idling) it gets noticeably warm to the touch.

TMichaels
03-02-2011, 12:53 AM
You may also use ignition coils with integrated amplifiers. We used VW/Audi ignition coils which come with their own amplifier integrated and cost less than the stock coils.

Regards,

Tobias

murpia
03-08-2011, 05:05 AM
Here's 2 links that could help:

w w w. bosch-motorsport. de / content / language2 / html / 3676.htm

w w w. bosch-motorsport. de / content / language2 / html / 2847.htm

A lot of the cheaper Bosch Motorsport stuff is straight out of series production and can be ordered from normal auto factors with the Bosch part number. Or from a scrapyard...

Regards, Ian

damienkennedy
03-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Cheers fo replies

Our motec supplier got us amps of a s14 slivia, nice compact unit that he has used before with good reports. Should have them wired up this week and hopefully engine going!

murpia
03-19-2011, 02:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DOA:
We have an ex MD from Motec Uk at our uni and he and one of our other lecturers are constantly arguing about the daftness of Motec insisting on not integrating the amplifiers into the ECU when most other manufacturers are doing it nowadays, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
MoTeC are probably trying to reduce warranty & support costs, effectively by passing those costs onto Bosch.

However, my preferred option for coil driving these days would be integrated driver & coils on plug or near plug, which only use logic-level ECU outputs. So by being behind the times, MoTeC have wrapped round to leading the pack...

Regards, Ian