PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia rxv550

nevadaboy
02-05-2011, 06:56 AM
A question for Aprilia RXV550 owners. I just bought mine used "07" with 2800miles (if you can call it used). I put a new batt in it thinking it would cure the starting problems. Waste of $77. It bucks the starter, spits out a very lean smelling exhaust and won't start without a booster. Even warm. Or more when warm. It bucks the starter so hard I'm afraid it will over spin it an throw copper or break the sprag. Is this a mapping/timing issue? It's barely broke in. I bought it on consignment so I haven't spoken to the owner as to why he sold it so cheap at $3300. But I'm guessing it was a pain in the butt. I have read quite a few forums and I'm leaning toward retarding the timing a hair and remapping the fuel.
Am I right?

Sam. B.
02-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Is it possible for you to make a compression test?

Do-it-Guy
02-09-2011, 11:12 AM
The whole starter-assembly of this engine is very sensitive... So be careful not to overstress it! The starter motor itself breaks very easily if it gets too hot / runs longer than for a few seconds. The sprag is not very robust, too.

Aprilia made an adaption on the gear ratio between starter motor and sprag gear somewhere in 2007 to solve the starting problems. Maybe you have the old version... You should check your engine number and have a look at the spare parts list.

I would also inspect the involved mechanical parts of your engine for wear and damage, especially the sprag.. this should be quite easy without dismounting the engine from the bike by opening the ignition cover (be careful not to damage the O-rings of the crankshaft lubrication while reassembling!)

Finally a new ecu-mapping could help as well. It should be possible to find one on the internet forums you mentioned and a dealer who is able to flash the ecu with it.

kind regards
Christian

Spinto
10-12-2011, 02:42 PM
i have brand new motors still in the crate if you're interested.

Kirby
10-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Adelaide has a few spare engines kicking around too + parts and A (barely used) slipper clutch.