PDA

View Full Version : Course layout change for 2006 autox and enduro

Dan G
06-24-2005, 08:20 PM
I heard they're thinking of making them something like this...

http://thumbs.streetfire.net/FF0C3901-0B0D-4912-9BC3-761051EFD4B3.jpg (http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=FF0C3901-0B0D-4912-9BC3-761051EFD4B3)

Dan G
06-24-2005, 08:20 PM
I heard they're thinking of making them something like this...

http://thumbs.streetfire.net/FF0C3901-0B0D-4912-9BC3-761051EFD4B3.jpg (http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=FF0C3901-0B0D-4912-9BC3-761051EFD4B3)

Igor
06-26-2005, 06:27 AM
Hmm, I think the rules will have to prescribe drain holes in the seat for when the driver wets himself. Or some extra bracing to support their balls :-)

Igor

SD
06-26-2005, 08:43 PM
Wow...that is absolutely insane!

Can't wait! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

slow_vw
06-28-2005, 09:14 PM
is it just me, or is there some sparks flying about midway through when the car passes that gaurdrail?
absolutely insane...

Didier Beaudoin
06-29-2005, 04:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slow_vw:
is it just me, or is there some sparks flying about midway through when the car passes that gaurdrail?
absolutely insane... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but they are sparks coming from the underbody of the car. It would be more insane if they were coming from the wheels scraping along the guardrail... :P

drivetrainUW-Platt
06-29-2005, 10:20 AM
holy crap, I think cones are more forgiving, we will need a full 360 degree crush zones like on amusment park gokarts!

John Bucknell
06-29-2005, 08:05 PM
You need to watch more classic F1 on SPEED. Used to be the cars had so much downforce they NEEDED the titanium skidplates to prevent other softer parts from hitting. Imagine a whole stream of cars on the bumpy front straight in Mexico showering sparks everywhere....

CMURacing - Prometheus
06-29-2005, 09:05 PM
there was a great double-page picture of danica's car in last week's SI, being covered in sparks from someone in front of her throwing up a shower...

Dan G
07-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Ok, I was kidding with that last video. But I heard this is what the course at formula student looks like...

http://korvideo.free.fr/200411/maitrise.wmv

Neil S
07-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Apparently my firewall at work says thats a sex video, but I, although I didn't drive at competition, that the course(s) were crap. The autocross course does not resemble any normal autocross course done by the SCCA or any other clubs. Hopefully they will look into doing a course more like typical SCCA events.

clif2001
07-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Maybe then all those fancy aero packages could be justified.

JPaolicchi
07-09-2005, 06:12 PM
I thought FSAE was an engineering competition?

I know that driver's don't like the sae tracks because they are so tight, but please realize that the tracks are specifically designed for this competition which includes many inexperienced, sleep deprived drivers who are in high performance racing cars, welded together by thier sleep deprived buddies. During this year's autocross, more than 1 in 4 cars had a suspension or other significant failure, so lower speeds are justified to keep it safe. Further, since its an engineering competition, the tracks are primarily designed to evaluate the cars. "Fun" is secondary.

Also, experienced SCCA volinteers have activily participated in the design of the tracks the last two years.

However, I also saw some things that could be improved in the tracks and we will work towards improvement every year. I was told that there were to many "point and shoot" turns this year and I thought that was constructive.

adrial
07-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Personally, I liked the autocross course in Michigan this year. I didn't think the pavement was anywhere near as bad as I've heard. Autocrosses are never held on the best parking lots and the car is designed to be a weekend autocrosser.

Can't comment much on the endurance as I didnt drive it.

Wilso
07-11-2005, 06:59 AM
I drove endurance and didn't think it was that bad. Of course I hear some teams are used to practicing on glass parking lots so it was probably rough for them. There was one tight but fast right turn on the backside where our side-mounted radiator support had a chance to meet the ground. This is a little late and probably has been mentioned, but I think Mr. Paolicchi and his crew ran the event very well.

Garlic
07-11-2005, 09:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil S:
although I didn't drive at competition, that the course(s) were crap. The autocross course does not resemble any normal autocross course done by the SCCA or any other clubs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not a club, it's an event, with the course quite clearly spelled out, probably more so than any auto-x you'll ever see, in the rulebook.

Of course there's no specification for surface roughness.. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif However I've been to rougher SCCA events.

Don't complain, much less tell people the course is 'crap' !? if you can't even read the rules...

Neil S
07-12-2005, 07:56 AM
'crap' was a bad word, sorry if that offended you. The course could have used some slight variations on a few corners, however I have read the rules. I don't see where it says that you have to have tight 90 degree turns after straights. It mentions after a 200ft straight there is supposed to be a hairpin, but with a 150ft straight there is supposed to be a wide turn; I won't pretend to know that the straights were 150ft long though. I also understand that there is to be a 25-30mph average speed. This was only my opinion (which doesn't even matter to myself) and you are welcome to disagree with me. I just didn't feel that it "evaluated the car's maneuverability and handling qualities" like it could have.

The course was rough, but thats something I think most teams have to deal with at their testing tracks. There were many places that I noticed they avoided some major issues with the lot, I think they did a good job with using the most of the lot that they could without using some horrid surface areas.

Neil S
07-12-2005, 08:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">inexperienced, sleep deprived drivers who are in high performance racing cars, welded together by thier sleep deprived buddies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true, which I guess has a lot to do with the average speed limit and probably why they don't want people to have a fast corner where something horrible could happen.

Dan G
07-12-2005, 09:42 PM
All joking with those videos aside, keep in mind that next year's FSAE - North America events, be it East or West, will be held on MUCH different lots/pavement. Its likely the Easts will be held at one of the big 3's Detroit area proving grounds, so the pavement should be WAY better than the Silverdome, and there's a possibility of it stretching out over somewhat larger of an area. Obviously things will be done to keep speeds down, but there will be a lot more options for course designers.

I can't wait!

drivetrainUW-Platt
07-13-2005, 10:25 AM
ha, drifting points, does this mean we need reverse!!

Piper
07-17-2005, 03:27 PM
Autox course too tight? If anything I expected it to be tighter. The course seemed a little wide and the turns faster than what our cars are meant for, however, the tracks were layed out to the rules specified. I would have like to seen some 1st gear hairpins or a pivot cone or two in the autox course, but I thought the endurance was good.

Denny Trimble
07-17-2005, 03:36 PM
MrIllegalX,
Have you ever taken your car to a real autocross?

Chris Boyden
07-18-2005, 11:28 AM
Dan G,

That dude is crazy....I didn't quite know what the hell to make of that video at first. wicked control.

Chris

Kamil S
07-25-2005, 01:30 AM
http://www.streetracersonline.com/videos/d4.php

my heart fluttered when i saw this...