PDA

View Full Version : Hoosier Tire Question

sb1616ne
02-22-2012, 10:43 AM
We recently acquired a set of hoosier dry tires that have been stored away in a university storage room at our school. The tires are new and have never been heat cycled, however they have been sitting for 8-10years. They have dried out some but no cracking has occurred. Any tips on using the tires? We just would plan on just using the tires for testing.

sb1616ne
02-22-2012, 10:43 AM
We recently acquired a set of hoosier dry tires that have been stored away in a university storage room at our school. The tires are new and have never been heat cycled, however they have been sitting for 8-10years. They have dried out some but no cracking has occurred. Any tips on using the tires? We just would plan on just using the tires for testing.

Kirk Feldkamp
02-22-2012, 11:24 AM
http://www.pro-blend.com/gokart.htm

My understanding is tire treatments aim to replace and/or modify the oils that bind the rubber together. I've *heard* you can treat old tires to get more life out of them. I'm sure they won't ever be 100%, but I would guess that treating them couldn't hurt at this point.

rrobb
02-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Tire treatments are a band-aid at best. They usualy only last about 2 runs and then your back to square one.
There are a bunch of them out there, but almost all of them are based on naphtalene, and some guys just make their own.

exFSAE
02-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Tire treatments most certainly do not replace the oils in a tread compound.

I do agree with the sentiment that their effectiveness is short term.

Honestly I wouldn't bother going through the effort of doping them. Mount em up and go beat on em. Probably good for rookie driver training - don't expect to get meaningful "race pace" results out of them. Shit, that long ago.. I'm not even sure Hoosier was selling R25 treads. Kinda curious if they're 25 or 35 compound.

I'm sure they're safe to pound around on, but for "legit" tuning I'd get a new set of the best tire around, Hoosier or not.

sb1616ne
02-23-2012, 07:04 PM
thanks guys, i will check the compound for the hell of it and post it up to let you know