PDA

View Full Version : Heat Treatment (UK)

Alastair Clarke
05-02-2008, 01:45 AM
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a heat treatment shop in the UK to case carburise our driveshafts. Has anyone anywhere they can recommend as I don't want to end up with bananna shaped shafts so I'm particularly looking for somewhere who has experience of driveshafts and the like.

Any ideas?

Alastair

Alastair Clarke
05-02-2008, 01:45 AM
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a heat treatment shop in the UK to case carburise our driveshafts. Has anyone anywhere they can recommend as I don't want to end up with bananna shaped shafts so I'm particularly looking for somewhere who has experience of driveshafts and the like.

Any ideas?

Alastair

vandit
05-08-2008, 08:08 AM
hey

this may not be exactly the reply you are looking for ....we had drive shaft break down some time back on our car
(the thread "broken driveshaft ..is it torsional fracture?"....is already going along on this forum)

since we also happen to modify our shafts and stupidly tend to remove induction hard layer from it , i would like to know more about this 'case carburization' which u mentioned on this topic....and how does it different from induction hardnening ...is it better ?....or all together different treatment for different properties....

Mike Sadie
05-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Case Carburization: A low carbon alloy steel is heated to some temp below its melting point in the presence of a gas, liquid, or solid. The external substance decomposes due to the heat and releases carbon, which is then absorbed into the surface of the steel. This results in a strong/brittle high carbon exterior and softer/ductile low carbon interior.

check out the machinery handbook. It has a ton of info on the different types of heat treats for steel.

exFSAE
05-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Whereas driveshafts will likely be high carbon and/or high alloy, with already high hardenability without havin to carburise.