PDA

View Full Version : non prismatic beam

Rameshwar Prasad
09-01-2010, 06:59 PM
how to assign different properties to a single beam in ANSYS APDL. Beam length is 15m.
0 to 5M:
AREA:0.75
IZZ:0.0117
HEIGHT:1.0
E=10E6
5 TO 15M
AREA:0.5
E=30E6

Rameshwar Prasad
09-01-2010, 06:59 PM
how to assign different properties to a single beam in ANSYS APDL. Beam length is 15m.
0 to 5M:
AREA:0.75
E=10E6
5 TO 15M
AREA:0.5
E=30E6

Drew Price
09-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Sounds suspiciously like you're asking us to help you with your homework....

EHog
09-02-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm going to guess that there is no beam on your formula car that is 15m in length.

billywight
09-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Sounds like you just need two different beam element properties. This shouldn't be that hard, try the software's help section.

Rameshwar Prasad
09-02-2010, 06:36 PM
dudes i study in an Indian university where nobody bothers what you are doing .. i am trying to learn the software by myself(for increasing my own knowledge bank ) through tutorials given in a book by an Indian author....

Rameshwar Prasad
09-02-2010, 06:36 PM
billy wight can you please be more specific

BillCobb
09-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Dude, like put 2 beams in the same location, one with poperty set1, and another with the ommited properties of set 1. So, for example, to model a twist axle (compound crank) suspension member, you would have beam 1 with area at the mass center and no inertia. Then connect another beam at the structure's shear center and having the inertia. It would look like a ladder if you view the assembly. Don't forget to connect them together at the nodes. I know this sounds redndant, but dude, like wow, there are so many freakin' morons out there in the world of particle physics. This 'hyper-beam', will, like warp, like the real thing!

Don't exceed warp 9.9 or the dilithium crystals will overheat and there will like surely be a coolant leak. You know what that means: Core breach. And that, penguin lovers, is a violation of the Organian Peace Treaty.

Drew Price
09-02-2010, 08:01 PM
I don't think that they can get plutonium at the corner market in India yet, like we can in California.

Rameshwar Prasad
09-02-2010, 09:51 PM
thanks bill...
drew.. that wasnt funny man....you are supposed to help learners like me man.. hoping for a more worthwhile advice next time

Bazanaius
09-03-2010, 07:07 AM
I thought it was quite witty.

exFSAE
09-03-2010, 08:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rameshwar Prasad:
thanks bill...
drew.. that wasnt funny man....you are supposed to help learners like me man.. hoping for a more worthwhile advice next time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. Your educators are supposed to help students like you.

It's not the responsibility of the internet.

Drew Price
09-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Rameshwar,

None of us is trying to be particularly mean spirited, it's just that your question could probably be much more constructively answered in a more appropriate venue. I get the feeling that only a few people who read this forum are particularly adept with ANSYS in the first place, and analyzing a structure with varying properties along it's length is interesting, but is usually not something that you'd know how to do unless you were studying something very specific. And probably something in the biomed realm.

You would probably get better feedback in a more generalized engineering forum, or from someone at your school who is charged with teaching ANSYS, or who uses it on a regular basis.

At my school that meant people in the composites (Mat Sci) and structures (ME) labs.

Grad students will probably be your friends.

I know most of our faculty members were a little mistrustful of those pretty computer simulations in the first place, other than to make presentations at conferences with pretty color plots on them.

Rameshwar Prasad
09-03-2010, 10:55 PM
DREW can you tell me of a forum which strictly deals with such kind of discussions...i am trying to find but no avail.. but anyways thanks very much

billywight
09-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Rameshwar,

At some point in your career(?), you will have to learn to find some of these things yourself. Why not start now?

ben
09-05-2010, 06:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rameshwar Prasad:
DREW can you tell me of a forum which strictly deals with such kind of discussions...i am trying to find but no avail.. but anyways thanks very much </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Google is your friend: http://www.fea-forums.com/forum/4

Ben

Rameshwar Prasad
09-05-2010, 10:18 AM
ok billy

RollingCamel
09-07-2010, 06:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exFSAE:
thanks bill...
drew.. that wasnt funny man....you are supposed to help learners like me man.. hoping for a more worthwhile advice next time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. Your educators are supposed to help students like you.

It's not the responsibility of the internet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be so sure. While we have some good educators many don't update themselves and some don't know anything.

Take for instance our faculty adviser, he doesn't know the exhaust from the intake. Doesn't care what you have learned from the project and what only he wants is us to finish the car so he can look good. Doesn't care about our safety and student development. You do a mistake...off with your head (Coming to that I believe he is the Queen of Hearts). The team morale was ground low near the end mainly because of his attitude and we did clash with him at the competition. I have worked and researched damn hard for more than a year and i didn't get the satisfaction.

I had a talk with Pat about it and he said that he talked to the doctor and he is friendly and proud of us. I didn't tell him that day but what he is really proud of is himself and he is friendly because he sees him as a worthy acquaintance. What sort of human being he is when he says lets ship the car and say that it broke during shipping? Or say that the car was running and we didn't have luck?

Bernd Schneider came to have a look. He asked what was wrong the Dr. simply answered "The car is ready for everything except for the dynamic event..", while inappropriate I couldn't help it that i lol'ed.

We didn't do a business plan, what we did is that we sat down with the judges and talked with them what we were confused about and what they are looking for. While we were talking he interrupted the talk and introduced his long boring introduction then had a recommendation to the committee is not to give the team captain responsibilities because Egypt and the Middle East it is different. All the info should go through the adviser o "skip" the captain. I really wanted to respond about the kind of ppl teaching us but i held myself.