PDA

View Full Version : Cheap practice tires

Storbeck
06-20-2004, 06:17 PM
Do any other schools use cheaper or harder compound tires for driver practice, working out bugs, etc...

What have you had best luck with?

As we start to drive a lot this summer it's becoming clear that tires could be a MAJOR expense.

I saw something about Toyo RA-1's in the Fatigue testing thread. Any thoughts?

Charlie
06-20-2004, 06:38 PM
Find a Formula Ford, Formula Mazda, or other similar series running close by. I've picked up several free 'slightly used' sets of tires (fronts fit well) for nothing. There will be dozens of tires, and you can find some that have plenty of life left. Talk to the tire guys! Hard compounds, but not compared to production tires, and can't beat the price.

Storbeck
06-20-2004, 07:32 PM
I don't think there's a lot of that kind of racing close by in northern Michigan, but I guess I'll have to look.

Eddie Martin
06-20-2004, 07:46 PM
Have a look at the harder compound goodyears and hoosiers, i think they are a lot cheaper and are still pretty good.
We get old formula ford tyres for free and run them for new drivers.

Charlie
06-20-2004, 09:17 PM
Nothing really close to us either. Take a road trip to Road America with a pickup. Unfortunately you might have to buy tickets and watch some racing, but that's the price you've got to pay! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Make sure you go on a day the series is racing-for the entry level stuff often times its a Thursday or Friday.

Denny Trimble
06-21-2004, 01:09 AM
The toyo RA-1's don't last that much longer than hard-compound goodyears / hoosiers, and they change the feel of the car too much. I'd recommend buying hard-compound equivalents of the tires you plan on running in Detroit.