PDA

View Full Version : Anyone willing to host Lawrence Tech for Spring Break Test and Tune?

Kevin Dunn
01-16-2009, 02:58 PM
We're tossing around the idea of "trading" facilities for a week or so (your lab/dorms in March, for our lab/dorms in May). We'd like to do some "warm weather" testing and by mid-March it's not going to be too warm here in Michigan.

I'd have to check with Lawrence Tech, but I'm thinking we could allow the use of our lab, tools, chassis dyno, and testing lot for the week prior to Formula-Michigan.

This would be in return for the 1 week use of your lab, tools and testing area (big enough for an auto-cross and accel runs) in mid-March.

If you would be interested in doing this please let me know! Like I said, I'll still have to check with my school, but wanted to see if someone would be willing to do this before bringing it up to them...

Kevin Dunn
01-16-2009, 02:58 PM
We're tossing around the idea of "trading" facilities for a week or so (your lab/dorms in March, for our lab/dorms in May). We'd like to do some "warm weather" testing and by mid-March it's not going to be too warm here in Michigan.

I'd have to check with Lawrence Tech, but I'm thinking we could allow the use of our lab, tools, chassis dyno, and testing lot for the week prior to Formula-Michigan.

This would be in return for the 1 week use of your lab, tools and testing area (big enough for an auto-cross and accel runs) in mid-March.

If you would be interested in doing this please let me know! Like I said, I'll still have to check with my school, but wanted to see if someone would be willing to do this before bringing it up to them...

J.R.
01-16-2009, 03:46 PM
We're interested, but I don't know if you'll find warm weather here in March http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BillCobb
01-16-2009, 03:52 PM
This out of the box, but GM is moving out of their proving grounds in Mesa, AZ. on to a new facility in Yuma, AZ. Why not check to see if you could roam the abandoned Mesa facility. Offer them $1.00 for rent....

There are plenty of L.Tech grads in GM, get on the phone of check with them at the Auto Show.

Zac
01-16-2009, 04:26 PM
You and your crazy ideas Bill...

Check your PM's.

Kevin Dunn
01-16-2009, 04:33 PM
AZ would definately raise the price of this trip quite a bit (something we're trying to keep as low as possible, which is why I mentioned dorms). It was my intention to T&T somewhere in the south east so that we could tow our trailer and several guys down in a day...

GM Proving Grounds in AZ would definately test our cooling system issues!

JamesWolak
01-17-2009, 12:53 AM
I dont even need dorms. Just find me a place to park the truck and trailor and ill be good.

Kevin Dunn
01-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Seriously though. If someone is interested in doing this, I will make sure to get it set-up with LTU so you guys can come up the week before MIS and do some last minute testing/tuning...

We'll also be hosting FEI (from Brazil) like we did in 2007.

Kevin Dunn
01-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Anyone?

By the way, our Spring Break is from March 9-14.

Kevin Dunn
01-30-2009, 07:44 AM
Bump....

Corey H
01-31-2009, 07:25 AM
So why is Arizona too far to tow the trailer to? How do you think we got to Michigan a couple years ago? 33 hours isn't that bad if you do it all at once. Arizona is the place to be though, we are already around 70 in the day now http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But seeing as how we have wised up and decided to go to West (8 hours instead of 33) we wouldn't have much use for your offer.

Good luck!

Kevin Dunn
01-31-2009, 11:37 PM
We've considered driving to West this summer...Would definately make for a great trip and a lot of memories.

Priorities change when there is a competition. Testing/Tuning? I don't know about a couple days of driving just for that...

FormulaJuan
02-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Hey!! So UTSA may be able to accomidate you. Would you be up for a trip to texas?? You have the same spring break as us too! Hopefully we'll have a running car by then.... Is there anything specific you were looking to use as far as lab equiptment?

JamesWolak
02-02-2009, 04:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FormulaJuan:
Is there anything specific you were looking to use as far as lab equiptment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naw anything will do. A tig welder and a tyre changer would be nice.

I also won't mind some single females and beer.

FormulaJuan
02-02-2009, 09:05 PM
I just learned how to change out tires yesterday by myself. It takes quite a bit of elbow grease though... And we've bot a tig for sure. I'll run it by the team!

Kevin Dunn
02-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Tyre changer? It doesn't rain in Texas! Unless you really think we'll wear out a set of new Hoosiers.

Yeah, Texas wouldn't be too bad. I hear everythings bigger in Texas...hopefully it only applies to the beers and not the females.

Let me know if it goes over well with your team and I'll talk to the necessary people at my school...

This may be a stupid question but...Do you have a large smooth testing area?

FormulaJuan
02-04-2009, 11:02 PM
I ran it by the team, and unfortunately its a no go. Seems like everyone is going to be out during spring break, and we have finals before competition so we wouldn't be able to spend a week up there at all. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif(

Kevin Dunn
02-04-2009, 11:09 PM
K. Thanks for checking around though...

I wish I was able to allow my team members to go away for spring break. Out of the 20 getting credit, I think there are only 3-4 that deserve the nice vacation...Plus we're about 1 month or more behind schedule.

JamesWolak
02-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Wanted to throw out there that we still don't mind hosting teams around comp time even if you cant host us. Oxford Brooks uses our parking lot every year. FEI comes down a week early and gets there car ready in our lab. A bunch of other teams have used our lab around that time too (Helsinki, UMR, even locals like UMich, OU, and Wayne state). But we are limited to how many and i will kick you off our parking lot/equipment if we need to use it (sorry we have to have our priorities). Plus i dont want our guys devoting to much time to other teams the week before comp we have a hard enough time with our own crap. Don't expect us to let you CNC your uprights or tune your maps from strach on dyno. But like i said we are more then willing to host teams just not babysit them.

Kevin Dunn
02-06-2009, 10:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JamesWolak:
Wanted to throw out there that we still don't mind hosting teams around comp time even if you cant host us. Oxford Brooks uses our parking lot every year. FEI comes down a week early and gets there car ready in our lab. A bunch of other teams have used our lab around that time too (Helsinki, UMR, even locals like UMich, OU, and Wayne state). But we are limited to how many and i will kick you off our parking lot/equipment if we need to use it (sorry we have to have our priorities). Plus i dont want our guys devoting to much time to other teams the week before comp we have a hard enough time with our own crap. Don't expect us to let you CNC your uprights or tune your maps from strach on dyno. But like i said we are more then willing to host teams just not babysit them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well put. I, as well as many others, are willing to help as much as we can...but only to an extent. It's always cool BS'ing with guys before/during comp. I wish I was around when Helsinki came by last year. Looks like I'll have to settle with FEI http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif