Stefanos m
12-20-2011, 09:00 AM
thnx

Stefanos m
12-20-2011, 09:00 AM
thnx

Shebert
12-20-2011, 09:43 AM
I assume you have a educationnal license of MatLab. You should have the optimization toolbox which has curve fitting tool. There is recorded webminar on mathworks website.

good luck

Zac
12-20-2011, 10:22 AM
It's a fairly straight forward optimization problem since you have both the raw data and the equations for the model. There's no real trick to this but there are a couple things you might want to do.

First tire data is noisy. You'll want to look at ways of filtering or smoothing the data without losing key information

Second, optimization functions do a great job of moving towards a local minimum (or maximum). They won't always find the absolute minimum or maximum so you need to make sure your "initial guess" is close enough for good convergence.

Third, if your learning objective here isn't "learn to work with raw tire data and/or learn to use matlab toolboxes" there is some commercial software available to do this stuff. Deflt-TNO has MF-Tool. Optimum G has Optimum T. I have no experience with MF-Tool (I think its a six figure software), but there were free trial versions of Optimum T available for FSAE teams. It seems to do an ok job, especially if you're only going to work with tire data occasionally. It might be worth looking into.

Stefanos m
01-15-2012, 07:58 AM
thnx a lot both of you!