PDA

View Full Version : Optimum K Motion Analysis Problem

ILoveOffRamps
09-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Hi. My name is Todd and I'm a student here at Oklahoma State. I'm currently working in Optimum K trying to recreate previous designs. I've entered the points for a double wishbone pull rod suspension. I've checked the roll axis, suspension pivot axis, and just about every other option in this program, but every time I input a simple motion (for example 1 degree of camber roll) the model explodes. It explodes en route to the given value and continues to go haywire until the animation terminates.

I've searched for other people who had similar difficulties, or difficulties all together and came up empty handed.

Any suggestions or hints would be appreciated. Thanks.

Todd

ILoveOffRamps
09-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Hi. My name is Todd and I'm a student here at Oklahoma State. I'm currently working in Optimum K trying to recreate previous designs. I've entered the points for a double wishbone pull rod suspension. I've checked the roll axis, suspension pivot axis, and just about every other option in this program, but every time I input a simple motion (for example 1 degree of camber roll) the model explodes. It explodes en route to the given value and continues to go haywire until the animation terminates.

I've searched for other people who had similar difficulties, or difficulties all together and came up empty handed.

Todd

Conor
09-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), as defined by the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR), is a mental condition whereby a single individual evidences two or more distinct identities or personalities, each with its own pattern of perceiving and interacting with the environment.

js10coastr
09-10-2007, 08:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ILoveOffRamps:

Todd </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One degree of "camber roll"?

You could call OptimumG, but be prepared to ask in French, or Aussie.

Have you tried using the example motions? Also, check if the "roll" is in degrees or radians... I'm not sure if that ever got settled.

Team OptimumK
09-10-2007, 09:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by js10coastr:
You could call OptimumG, but be prepared to ask in French, or Aussie. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...or English, the choice is yours http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

As Justin mentioned, double-check your units. At the bottom-left corner of the screen, you will see the units being displayed. Make sure that the magnitude of the roll angle which you input corresponds with your units.

The orientation and direction of your axes ahould also be consistent with your CAD software, assuming that's how you're obtaining your points to recreate the suspension. The default axis system in Solidworks for instance, isn't the same as the default axis in OptimumK. If you've read the help file, you'll realize that there's two places where you can set your axis, one in the design screen (shown below), and another in the Preference screen. Make sure you've set the right one.

http://www.optimumg.com/FSAE%20Forum%20Images/Ref_Axis.JPG

That should solve your problem.

Best regards,

ILoveOffRamps
09-11-2007, 01:27 AM
I had fought with this for about a week off and on to no avail so I decided to post this earlier today. My partner and I began to work in Mitchell and it hit me like a freight train that I had inverted my y-axis in Optimum. I quickly fixed that, and all was well. My second post was myself making fun of....well myself. I do thank you for your speedy responses. We've been scouring the forums for the past month at least so I guess this ended up being a "walk through the door with my shoelaces tied together" introduction.

So....hi. Nice to meet you guys. Thanks again.

js10coastr
09-11-2007, 07:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ILoveOffRamps:
I had fought with this for about a week off and on to no avail so I decided to post this earlier today. My partner and I began to work in Mitchell and it hit me like a freight train that I had inverted my y-axis in Optimum. I quickly fixed that, and all was well. My second post was myself making fun of....well myself. I do thank you for your speedy responses. We've been scouring the forums for the past month at least so I guess this ended up being a "walk through the door with my shoelaces tied together" introduction.

So....hi. Nice to meet you guys. Thanks again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could do a lot worse for a first post... welcome!

For myself I am a big fan of the "Ranjit" coordinate system used in OptimumK. It's just seems to make more sense.

V10
09-11-2007, 10:46 AM
The "ranjit" coordinate system.. eh .... now that would be cool if that term stuck... funny, how I thought I was following the standard when I came up with that only to find out much much later that it wasn't so ... so justin, how have ya been man ??.. have ya used the final version of OptimumK.. am still waiting for mine .. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-ranjit

Weapon of choice over the Dark side - Silver Arrows

mtg
09-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Holy smokes! The legend shows up! How's it going Ranjit?

V10
09-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Hey hey Matt.. hows it been going.. its been ages.. its been going ok here in India.. so have ya seen the final released version of OptimumK.. the last i saw of it was a few screen shots.. and that itself blew me away .. boy its seem all of ya put in quite a effort to get it there...

- ranjit

Drum
09-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Hey Ranjit I think there's some mail for you at S Lima St......

V10
09-11-2007, 12:08 PM
I was expecting truck loads of it .. just some u say .. disappointing..

Skyline
09-11-2007, 12:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Drum:
Hey Ranjit I think there's some mail for you at S Lima St...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...and some nasty messages in the voicemail

js10coastr
09-11-2007, 12:42 PM
I have/had an alpha version that was out right before PRI, but it's not working anymore. I think there is some expiration date or something on that one. So I too am waiting for my copy (ahem).

I've been doing good outside of that... starting my masters in business at Cal Poly SLO next week, been hoping to get an Auto X Prize team here off the ground, but it's been pretty hard trying to find funding. So the idea of doing formula (or baja, or supermileage) again is tempting me.

The F1 season this year has been way too exciting and it's almost like you're not watching any of the races, but I'm pretty excited for the boys in silver and orange... even though they did turn me down for a job.

Whats new with you? Any news on your business?

mtg
09-11-2007, 02:39 PM
I've seen a few late versions on computers at the Chateaux- I'm not sure if I've ever seen the final version that's for sale, though.

Don't give me credit for finishing it- I didn't work on it after the math modeling.

I'd say if you include voicemail with junk mail, you would have officially tons of it. "Just some" probably is just an indicator of the "in process" junkmail- ie. the stuff that collects between when the mail man drops it off and when the trash man picks it up. I still live close enough to keep up on this kind of stuff...

James Waltman
09-11-2007, 02:54 PM
I could probably rename this thread for you guys. How about: "Optimum G Reunion"?
Someone should tell Kevin he's missing out.

I've spent quite a bit of time with the Optimum G guys now. My comprehension of Aussie and French accented English has improved quite a bit.

js10coastr
09-11-2007, 07:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Waltman:
My comprehension of Aussie and French accented English has improved quite a bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The good thing about Aussie and French accented English is that you don't have to "mind your P's and Q's". However you do have to mind your G's and J's... or "Jays and Jeeze" if you like, and sometimes those "HEY-ches" and "Zeds" get in there too.

Skyline
09-11-2007, 10:25 PM
actually "Zeds" are used all around the world... except US. Like Nissan's Zed-cars. And so is aluminium too http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

js10coastr
09-12-2007, 08:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skyline:
actually "Zeds" are used all around the world... except US. Like Nissan's Zed-cars. And so is aluminium too http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which only proves to show that the rest of the world is wrong!!! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

V10
09-12-2007, 10:38 AM
hmm.. you had to mention the "HEY-ches"..eh..
although I have to state I never did have a problem with the so called "Zeds"