PDA

View Full Version : HELP ME GUYS

AP Verma
04-14-2009, 01:54 AM
Hello all of you. Would anybody please tell me about the common types of front and rear suspensions used in SAE cars.I tried to search it myself but nothing much found.

AP Verma
04-14-2009, 01:54 AM
Hello all of you. Would anybody please tell me about the common types of front and rear suspensions used in SAE cars.I tried to search it myself but nothing much found.

Pennyman
04-14-2009, 02:05 AM
You've gotta be kidding me.

Anvit Garg
04-14-2009, 02:17 AM
de Dion-axle

it sounds like mustard, im hungry

Nishant Jain
04-14-2009, 02:18 AM
@pennyman: that is just a brilliant quote! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

fixitmattman
04-14-2009, 03:28 AM
Citroen 2CV, you would own the egg carrying competition.

Try this (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=suspension+types)

ed_pratt
04-14-2009, 04:52 AM
AP Verma,

have you looked at some pictures of an FSAE car? I would suggest starting there.

Ed

J.R.
04-14-2009, 08:10 AM
Swing axle, Carol Smith liked them, according to Tune to Win, and I think a trailing arm front like the old VW Beetles....

Zac
04-14-2009, 08:48 AM
I heard that both Stuttgart and UWA are moving towards a sliding pillar suspension.

vreihen
04-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Suspension?!?!?!?!? We don't need no stinking suspension!!! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Seriously though, it sounds like your team's library is missing some of the basic books that you will need to continue. There was a thread here a few months ago listing recommended books for all teams. It may even be a sticky-post on this forum, and I suggest that you start ordering some of them right away.

A book with a good overview of suspension design history is "Competition Car Suspension" by Allan Staniforth. It sounds like just what you're looking for, and will also help you to impress the judges by knowing the pitfalls of earlier suspension designs and tradeoffs if they ask you at competition.

I also personally recommend "How to Build Motorcycle-engined Racing Cars" by Tony Pashley. It provides a great overview of everything required to build an FSAE-type car, and explains things (like oil sumps) that you might not otherwise even think about until you seize an engine in a long corner.....

PatClarke
04-15-2009, 06:02 AM
Remember the famous words of Colin Chapman..."Any suspension will work if you don't let it"!

Pat

Mikey Antonakakis
04-15-2009, 02:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PatClarke:
Remember the famous words of Colin Chapman..."Any suspension will work if you don't let it"!

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good philosophy!

jrickert
04-15-2009, 04:53 PM
The optimal suspension would be a 6 axis fully active suspension. I suggest research in this area.

Dave K
04-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Weld your suspension to the driver... the only TRUE way to feel what the car is doing.

ghost
04-17-2009, 08:02 AM
what keywords you wrote in the search box.....
that you couldn't find much??

ed_pratt
04-17-2009, 02:18 PM
maybe this will help?

http://lmgtfy.com?q=common+types+of+fsae+suspension

ed

Mike Macie
04-17-2009, 02:24 PM
I like that sketch one team made of a driver actuated suspension. It was pure genius.

AP Verma
04-21-2009, 02:18 AM
ok. thanks guys. i think i should search more on it.

arcane
04-24-2009, 02:48 AM
Don't feel bad apverma its here in open discussion people relax by commenting on views they all stressed guys or stressed out guys they just play. Ans. of ur question is here above in some of the quotes.

Adambomb
04-27-2009, 08:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Weld your suspension to the driver... the only TRUE way to feel what the car is doing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We talked about doing that one year, a fully stressed driver. It would simplify and lighten the car so much! Just start with a main roll hoop, bolt a drivetrain to the back of it, a seat to the front of it, then weld some front wheels to a front bulkhead and front roll hoop and just strap it to the driver's legs. Side impact gets a bit tricky, but I imagine with enough velcro it would be possible. The biggest downfall is that the driver would have to do a lot of squats to get torsional rigidity to a reasonable level.