PDA

View Full Version : Drivers Equipment Event

Phil1988
07-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Hey,

got a question to the drivers equipment:

We have four drivers in Hockenheim. Is it neccessary that every driver has a complete driver equipment? Two of our driver have the same stature and could use the same clothes. Is it possible when they drive in different dynamic events?

Regards Phil

Phil1988
07-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Hey,

got a question to the drivers equipment:

We have four drivers in Hockenheim. Is it neccessary that every driver has a complete driver equipment? Two of our driver have the same stature and could use the same clothes. Is it possible when they drive in different dynamic events?

Regards Phil

Michael Royce
07-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Phil,
In theory, it is possible to "get by" with only 1 set of driver's equipment IF your drivers are prepared to strip down and switch the equipment to the second driver between runs of the Acceleration Event, the Skid Pad Event and the Sprint/Autocross, and at Driver Change during the Endurance Event.

However, in practice, a team should have a minimum of two sets. Saying that, while having a driver's suit that is too large is possible, the helmet MUST fit a driver properly to be effective-it must not be too large or too small. So while you may be able to get by with just 2 helmets, you may need to have more, depending on the size of your driver's heads!

Also, I would suggest that driver's have their own sets of underwear, socks and balaclavas. Putting on someone else's sweaty gear is UGH!

And contrary to some advise given recently on this Forum, I recommend that a team has 2 sets of arm restraints. Only having 1 set really slows a team down at Driver Change during the Endurance Event. While this may work for an experienced team, it can cause some real problems for a new team for whom the Driver Change is a traumatic experience.

Charles Kaneb
07-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Are you allowed to borrow or lend equipment at an event?

If you've got (say) Texas A&M pitted next to a zero-buck rookie team, said zero-buck rookie team could get away with one set of gear for accel, skidpad, and autox, then borrow the gear from a driver who's not running endurance for Kansas.

What's the right way to go about this in tech?

Jay Lawrence
07-11-2012, 12:26 AM
We have loaned our gear to teams on numerous occasions so they could get through scrutineering. I don't think there is a problem with it provided you have enough to spare for them for the entire event. We've never had any kickback from scrutineers.

Obviously it's best to have enough gear for all your drivers but if not, you should be able to get away with 2 sets quite easily

TMichaels
07-11-2012, 01:16 AM
I even saw drivers exchanging socks at Endurance driver change http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

It is possible to loan equipment, for example, if one team is running in the morning session and another team is running in the afternoon session.

However, as Michael said, at least the helmets have to fit well and directly jumping into another driver's suit is not a motivating experience...