PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding an M18 thin height nylock..

rjwoods77
11-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Hello all. I cannot for the life of me find a M18 thin height nylock here in the states. I am wondering if it even exsists. Any of you folks have any idea where a really good metric fastener house is here in the states. The problem is I need one that is under .5" tall and all I have been able to find is standard height ones. Actually can be a elliptical thread fastener as well. Just needs to be locking nut and short. Fine thread preferable. All of the usual suspects have given me no results.

Tim.Wright
11-06-2009, 10:40 AM
maybe you could 'ellipticise' a jam nut with a hammer?

Though this would be more of a last resort.

Tim

fixitmattman
11-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Fastenal close down or something?

HoggyN
11-06-2009, 04:34 PM
How about turning down a standard height one?

exFSAE
11-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Does it have to be Nylon insert? There are other types of vibration-resistant nuts.

Or yea, just turn a standard one down.

rjwoods77
11-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Hoggy,

We were talking about that. Seems to be the most straight forward option.

ExFSAE,

Just has to be a SAE rules self locking fastener. Dont care what it is other than getting one .5 tall. Standard M18 Nylock is .75 so its doable to knock it down.

Fixit,

You are a moron. The usual suspects like Mcmaster,fastenal, aircraft spruce, maryland metric. Dumb thing to say and fastenal sucks anyway.

Kirby
11-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Hey Rob,

I had a look at all the metric fastener companies (in Au) that I have catalogs for. Plus a few other places. I'm pretty sure such a product doesn't exist.

Good luck turning one down.

M18 is pretty beefy for F-SAE appliction, what is it for in particular?

Scotty
11-09-2009, 06:36 AM
Rob,
Try these guys..
We get alot from them..

Metric & Multistandard corp

http://www.metricmcc.com/

Scotty
11-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Rob

I tried to post some info for ya....but I guess the Admin did not like some of the Key words.So shoot me an e-mail dude....
scotty@taylor-race.com

Mike Cook
11-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Rob,

Considering you designed for a nut that doesn't exist, I'm not quite sure Fixit is the moron in this case. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

rjwoods77
11-09-2009, 06:36 PM
I would be a tard if I went on assuming that is exsisted without checking first so I don't quite see your point. Someone suggesting I call fastenal as an answer to my question is a retarded answer considering how long i've been around. Just gunna use a DIN 985 and counterbore which is a less elegant solution then have a thin height M18x1.5 nylock.

fixitmattman
11-09-2009, 07:28 PM
I may be a retard but I have my fastner tables handy and know how tall a conventional M18 nut is. Be sure to give the guy who designed your 1/2" tall M18 fastner an ear full.

A conventional M18 nylock is 18.5mm tall, stover nut about the same, a non-nylock M18 jam nut is around half at 9mm. You want some combination of both to be less than 13mm, good luck. You're either machining a conventional nylock, or wire tying a non-nylock jam nut to pass tech.

I'll say this, we had a similar situation last year with a 3/4" nut on our spindles. By the time we were done filing/grinding those bastards they looked more like a washer than a nut and it got through tech.

You designed yourself into a hole so to speak and already know what you have to do, have fun.

rjwoods77
11-09-2009, 10:09 PM
For petes sake you can get a thin height nylocks, which i have used a ton in applications, even in a 3/4 UNF out of mcmaster carr for nothing and I can get it yesterday.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/3163/=4frato

We were looking at using a metric one and went on the hunt and couldn't find one so I asked if they are common outside the country. That's all I asked. We didn't design a single thing into a hole or any of that nonsense since we were looking at the options. Simply put, if you are going give a snide answer to a relatively simple question then shut your f'ing mouth.

rjwoods77
11-09-2009, 10:14 PM
This is rediculous. I have used thin height nylocks in all sort of places, and can get them yesterday and even 3/4 UNF.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/3163/=4frato

We did not design ourselves into a hole and any of that nonsense. We were checking to see if this is something that might not be common in the states but maybe somewhere else and were just asking to see if anyone had knowledge of them since they didn't seem available. Basically put, if you didn't have anything to add other than a snide comment then keep it to yourself.

Simon Dingle
11-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Sorry, I know this isn't exactly important, but what are you using an M18 for?

J. Vinella
11-29-2009, 03:35 PM
This tread has not gone well.

http://mm-bbs.org/style_emoticons/megamix_light/facepalm.gif

Adambomb
11-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by J. Vinella:
This tread has not gone well.

Love the facepalm smiley, will have to bookmark that!

This whole thing reminds me of a discussion I had with someone who happens to be a senior in engineering here involved with the human powered vehicle team. Somehow the whole metric vs. standard topic came up, and his biggest argument was "just using standard because you've been using it for years is a poor reason to continue using it." Of course I could only reply, "as soon as Hokel's (the local industrial supply store), McMaster, and everybody else stocks more metric hardware than standard, and then Iowa Machinery stops sponsoring us with standard tooling or for some other reason we re-invest in all metric tooling, I see no practical or economic reason to switch to metric." Of course he thought my argument was silly and old fashioned.

But this guy never built a race car before, so what does he know. I can sure tell that he's never had to drill the heads on 30 grade 10.9 M5 socket head cap screws, or, hell, machined down an M18 locknut. I think he also might be the same guy who proposed making this year's HPV chassis out of bamboo. I think he might also be a communist.