PDA

View Full Version : IDing multi link suspension type

S979
02-17-2010, 09:00 AM
I am about to buy some kinematics software specifically to analyze the multi link suspension shown in this photo http://img708.imageshack.us/im.../suspensiontype2.jpg (http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6533/suspensiontype2.jpg)

So far it seems like Susprog is the only system that might support it. In the rear suspension geometry type dropdown menu, the option that comes closest to what I think I am seeing, states "upper A arm, lower trailing and lateral links, toe link"

Do you agree that the photo shows "upper A arm, lower trailing and lateral links, toe link"?

Why doesn't optimumK support multi link suspension? Any suggestions for other kinematics programs that support multi link system analysis? Many thanks.

Drew Price
02-17-2010, 11:33 AM
That seems like it will work to me, as long as that lets you put 4 individual links in there you should be ok.

Best,
Drew

Adambomb
02-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Unfortunately I'm not as familiar with many kinematics programs as I'd like to be. We did our kinematics in Solidworks, which offers unlimited flexibility, but only if you are willing to give up about 4 hours getting constraints right, as well as your sanity throughout the process. ADAMS would also offer this level of flexibility, and would be better in terms of preserving sanity (especially compared to trying to create motion plots by changing a dimension and then typing another reference dimension in an excel spreadsheet).

Adambomb
02-17-2010, 12:13 PM
I might add...we just used sketches for kinematics. In hindsight the Motion toolbox in Solidworks Simulation would probably be similar in the end to using ADAMS. Also there are some macros you can use to export Solidworks dimensions to excel spreadsheets automatically, I never played with those either though.

Zac
02-17-2010, 12:58 PM
If you have access to it, the kinematics tools in CarMaker would let you do what you wanted. Licenses are expensive, but I believe the software is free to FSAE teams.

Depending on how detailed you need to get, just treating this as two separate 2D problems would let you use instant center techniques.

You could always just write your own code too. 3D kinematics aren't "that" hard to get a handle on.

BillCobb
02-17-2010, 01:47 PM
SuspensionSim from Joe Knable and Associates can easily do that job. He may already have a template in it for this design. Its a general purpose statics program which can have as many components as you would ever need: nonlinear bushings, bars, springs, etc. In fact you can build an entire car in it and do an inertia relief solution for a simulated lateral g field. I have it's predecessor sSnap somewhere around here. sSnap can do your suspension, too.

exFSAE
02-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by BillCobb:
SuspensionSim from Joe Knable and Associates can easily do that job. He may already have a template in it for this design. Its a general purpose statics program which can have as many components as you would ever need: nonlinear bushings, bars, springs, etc. In fact you can build an entire car in it and do an inertia relief solution for a simulated lateral g field. I have it's predecessor sSnap somewhere around here. sSnap can do your suspension, too.

oSnap!

Dash
02-17-2010, 03:41 PM
I used Wingeo3 to model our suspension kinematics.
Pretty handy program I might say. Easy to use, and lets you do iterations for ride, roll, and steering.

RANeff
02-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Is that an Evo 10? What are you running an analysis for?

S979
02-18-2010, 07:49 AM
Thanks guys, seems pretty unanimous that susprog will do what I require. I've found a schematic of that particular option and it looks to be exactly the setup in the photos.

Adambomb, thanks I have been considering using solidworks, but at the moment I don't have the time and prefer to pay a little for a quick solution. I actually have a few simple questions about using solidworks for kinematics, and hope you will not mind if I PM you.

RanE5, yes it is. Analysis is for development of a racecar that is based on it.