PDA

View Full Version : metal source-again

fsae racer
02-03-2005, 12:21 AM
I know there was a thread either specifically listing sources of steel tube or a thread that some how got side tracked onto it. In any case, Im tryin to find a source for some round and some box tubing besides Aircraft Spruce.

fsae racer
02-03-2005, 12:21 AM
I know there was a thread either specifically listing sources of steel tube or a thread that some how got side tracked onto it. In any case, Im tryin to find a source for some round and some box tubing besides Aircraft Spruce.

fade
02-03-2005, 06:08 AM
wicks aircraft and online metals probbably have what you need

JDF
02-03-2005, 08:27 AM
The Dillsburg Aeroplane Works
Aircraft-Race Car-Machine Shop-Raw Materials
Charles T. Vogelsong
114 Sawmill Road, Dillsburg, Pa 17019
(717) 432-4589

These guys seem to be one of the cheapest sources for 4130. Can be a pain to order from if you don't know exactly what you want. Call for a current product price list.

Lyn Labahn UW-Madison
02-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Not surprised about Aircraft Spruce. They seriously jammed us this year. It took forever for our order to get here and put the frame construction seriously behind schedule. On top of that they send none of the square tubing we had ordered. Then they claimed it was backordered but had shipped. We waited a couple of weeks called back and they claimed we had never ordered any!! To make a long story short two guys from our team set out at midnight in a blizzard to drive 15 hours round trip to Wick's so that we could get square material to begin the frame that weekend.

It really sucks that this all had to happen, we have had really good luck with Aircraft Spruce before this. I am going to be really reluctant to ever order anything from them again.

Courtney Waters
02-03-2005, 01:25 PM
We ordered from these guys before:

http://www.shapirosupply.com

Decent selection, useful online catalog, no minimum order.

Seems like just about anywhere is cheaper than Spruce. They have a great selection of stuff but for metal I'd go elsewhere. Of course, with the prices of steel these days...

C Z
02-03-2005, 07:28 PM
We've used Airparts in K.C., KS for our 4130 steel tube. They can be found on the web at: www.airpartsinc.com (http://www.airpartsinc.com)

rjwoods77
02-03-2005, 08:35 PM
Aed motorsports is where we just got our tubing from. Great prices, cheap shipping, and SAE discounts.

Chassis shop is always a winner too.

Jon Huddleston
02-04-2005, 01:10 AM
We buy material from of metal superpmarkets when we can't get it sponsored. It's not cheap but you get what you want. Don't really carry thin wall chromoly (.028) tubing though.