PDA

View Full Version : some doubt about the grab rail

T-speed
03-05-2013, 04:57 AM
Hi,All

We are a Chinese FSAE team .We just have issues with our frame ?specially the grab rail.

Nowadays?we are doing something about ergonomic.We fabricate a PVC model about our car.We found that the cockpit is too narrow because of the grab rail,the driver's hand would be obstructed while driving. We just want to pull down the handrail,but this would cause that the joint is not a node to node structure ,we do not know if this is rules compliant(we have read the rules carefully,but gaining nothing about that).I do not know if anyone here can give us some advices and whether our solution is rules compliant. Thank you

Zhou Yongping

Hubei University of Automotive Technology?China?

Bemo
03-05-2013, 05:11 AM
Hi, I think you sent me a mail about this a couple of days ago, but I forgot to answer it. Sorry for that.

The answer to this question is pretty simple. There are just no rules about such a handrail. In theory your chassis would be rules compliant without that tube. Between front and main hoop the rules force you to have the three members of the side impact structure. Other tubes are your design choice.

If you send me some more pictures of your chassis, from which I can see more than on the two you already sent me, I will have a short look at your chassis and tell you if I have concerns about rules compliancy.

T-speed
03-05-2013, 05:31 AM
Thanks Bemo.Your answer is very useful for us.Later I will send the picture about our frame to you.And we appreciate that you could give us so much help.Thank you again.
Originally posted by Bemo:
Hi, I think you sent me a mail about this a couple of days ago, but I forgot to answer it. Sorry for that.

The answer to this question is pretty simple. There are just no rules about such a handrail. In theory your chassis would be rules compliant without that tube. Between front and main hoop the rules force you to have the three members of the side impact structure. Other tubes are your design choice.

If you send me some more pictures of your chassis, from which I can see more than on the two you already sent me, I will have a short look at your chassis and tell you if I have concerns about rules compliancy.