PDA

View Full Version : Percy - Use for 2007

BStoney
07-31-2006, 05:03 AM
Check this out if you don't check sae.org regularly. It's an updated publication from Michael Royce on the use of "Percy" in 2007. Man, that would be horrible to have to modify a roll hoop at competition...

http://www.formulasae.org/forums/formula/dispatch.cgi/a...Note%20for%20CDS.doc (http://www.formulasae.org/forums/formula/dispatch.cgi/announcements/docProfile/100089/d20060728134122/No/Percy%20Note%20for%20CDS.doc)

kwancho
07-31-2006, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the snag. I spent 4 hours discussing roll hoops with my chassis guy last night, and we had something we thought we liked, but I don't think we comply with the 8deg of inclination.

BStoney
07-31-2006, 12:52 PM
Yea, I would use no more than 4deg of inclination (really, recline) because we all know manufacturing tolerances (seat mounting) are probably not as repeatable as you may have things laid out in your solid model. Plus, it eleviates the headache of having to deal with a debate at competition. Just my .02, but like everything else, it's a comprimise!

Michael Royce
07-31-2006, 01:25 PM
Guys,
The idea of setting a maximum rearward angle of that upper line is so that we don't run into the problem of teams trying to "cheat" on the roll bar height by artifcially locating the head restraint so far rearward that it does not meet the 1 inch or less requirement of Rule 3.4.4 with the driver in his/her natural driving postiton. Too large a gap could negate the effectiveness of the head restraint in the event of a rearward impact, and result in a neck injury. If we see the gap being much greater than specified as the car is being driven, we are well within our rights to black flag it, and make you put some more padding in to reduce this gap. Then we could use Percy again, and where would you be then if you don't meet the 2 inch requirement? Don't try and short cut things where safety is concerned.

Jersey Tom
07-31-2006, 02:21 PM
.. like using your radiator as the front crush zone?

Yea. We actually did that one year. I guess they didn't quite realize that in the event of a crash the driver gets drenched in 200+ degree water.

alfordda
07-31-2006, 03:21 PM
Michael-

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that document is saying that the angle of Percy's neck must be between 0 and 8 deg from vertical rearward? The first time I read that I thought the rules were trying to limit how much the driver was reclined. To clarify this in the rules maybe following it up with a picture or continue using the references of "circle representing the _______" would help. It doesn't really matter to me as I am an alumni now, but it was just a little unclear the first time through.

Sathersc
07-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Reading the document I'm confused about the wording.

"In the 2006 FSAE Rules, the dimensions of the template were updated. They now represent a 95th percentile North American male. He is 186.4 cms (6 foot 1 ½ inches) tall with a sitting height of 97.1 cms (38 1/4 inches)."

Has the 95th percentile model's demensions been updated from what was printed in the 2006 rules, or had it previously been written into the 2006 rules and now requires compliance?

I'm just wondering if the template in the 2006 book is still the current template, now in effect, or if the template is updated with new measurements comming soon. Thanks :-)

Michael Royce
07-31-2006, 05:40 PM
Sam,
The Rules currently in effect are the 2006 version. The 95th percentile dimensions were updated for the 2006 Rules (from what was in the 2005 Rules). These dimensions will be unchanged for 2007. Percy, Sir Percy, and whatever FSAE-Italy and FSAE-A name theirs, have been built to the 2006 (and 2007) dimensions. Clear now?

Jeff The Pyro
07-31-2006, 05:55 PM
in case anyone didnt follow the 8 degree of inclination thing.... this is the inclination of the head to the shoulders, not of the back. in other words you can recline the driver as much as you want, so long as the head is more or less upright. This is pretty reasonable since you have to have your head upright in order to see where you're going...

Sathersc
07-31-2006, 05:57 PM
Yes thank you. I was just confused as to why so many teams were failing to comply at the 2006 competitions if it was in the rule book.