PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filters

Robert
04-15-2004, 02:14 PM
I was wondering what other teams are using for fuel filters. How many, what kind, and where in the system? We are currently running one filter just before the pump however I think that it may cause some resrictions at higher flow rates and cause the pump to work harder then it should. We are also using E85 so we need to flow about 1.4 times more fuel.

Robert
04-15-2004, 02:14 PM
I was wondering what other teams are using for fuel filters. How many, what kind, and where in the system? We are currently running one filter just before the pump however I think that it may cause some resrictions at higher flow rates and cause the pump to work harder then it should. We are also using E85 so we need to flow about 1.4 times more fuel.

MikeWaggoner at UW
04-15-2004, 02:24 PM
I'd recommend a simple clear plastic filter before the pump. It won't create much restriction (you can oversize it if need be), and it's easy to check if it's clogged. Low pressure filters are also cheaper/lighter. The UW had issues with tank-liner sucking into the pump and clogging it in the past.

B Lewis @ PE Engine Management
04-15-2004, 09:25 PM
Make sure that you are using a filter designed for fuel injection if you decide to put one between the pump and the fuel rail. Standard carb filters tend to leak or blow out the filter material causing clogs. Don't ask me how I know http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ben Beacock
04-16-2004, 06:29 AM
so a -6AN inline Earls fuel filter may not be the best bet(since its probably designed for carbs)? or can it stand up to the flow?

osubeaver
04-16-2004, 09:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ben Beacock:
so a -6AN inline Earls fuel filter may not be the best bet(since its probably designed for carbs)? or can it stand up to the flow? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We are using one of those Earl's -6 AN filters with a fuel pump from a Ford Taurus and it seems to be working out just fine. We have not a had any problems with fuel delivery. I don't think that Earl's specifies that those filters be used only for carbureted engines, but maybe i'm wrong.