PDA

View Full Version : Cornell Wins 2004 Formula SAE

FSAE.com
05-23-2004, 03:08 PM
Congratulations to Cornell University for winning the 2004 Formula SAE competition in Detroit.

Texas A&M finished second followed by Auburn University in 3rd.

Congrats to all the teams from FSAE.com.

We'll post more results as they become available.

FSAE.com

FSAE.com
05-23-2004, 03:08 PM
Congratulations to Cornell University for winning the 2004 Formula SAE competition in Detroit.

Texas A&M finished second followed by Auburn University in 3rd.

Congrats to all the teams from FSAE.com.

We'll post more results as they become available.

FSAE.com

Mi_Ko
05-24-2004, 03:00 AM
Congatulations to all who finished FSAE, specialy Cornell!!!

Oh, I see the top 3 teams do not comming to Formula Student. I would realy like to see the top teams competiting in england.

Michael Jones
05-27-2004, 06:28 AM
F Student would be great, but money and human resources frustrate that. We're simply not awash in cash - we usually end the year even or in the red hoping to pick up a few awards to balance the books. And, more important, very few team members actually stay around Ithaca in the summer months, and those that do are usually taking summer courses that block off their weeks permanently. Even if we had the money, it'd be a logistical nightmare to get even a small team together.

Even local summer events are difficult - we've gone to the local run of SCCA Solo II a few times, but it's near impossible to get to the others since our trailer sucks eggs and we barely trust it to get the three miles up to the mall for practice, much less an hour and change up the road to Griffiths Air Force Base, where most of the SCCA events are run.

Even Toronto's auto-x has been a challenge to get to, and that's on borrowed trailers both times.

It would be nice to have our own trailer/truck and the money and people to go on roadtrips in the summer especially. But we're surprisingly cheap - as our paddock neighbors from Hartford remarked, we can build a championship racecar, but we struggle with setting up a $20 Walmart piece of shit canopy or $8 wooden easels for our uniquely amateur design posters, once again created on site from off-the-shelf poster board, Excel printouts and glue sticks.

Angry Joe
05-28-2004, 02:47 PM
sucks... how does Cornell treat you guys? I would assume pretty well but that's not the impression I get. It's pretty shameful if you guys have to struggle for money.

By the way, congradulations...

Michael Jones
05-28-2004, 03:18 PM
They treat us OK, but only OK. Our three major sponsors (GM, Hunter and Heller) really take care of us and the school provides space and basic maintenance of that space.

Other than that, it's shared lab and machining facilities and no direct financial support.

We're probably above average in facilities and finances, given that I know many make do with much less than we have in the end, but I'd bet there's at least 30 schools with at least comparable or better facilities and/or finances.

Events like F-Student and FSAE-A are pretty much out of our league as a result, financially as well as pragmatically. Just the way it is, I suppose.

Oh well, just means we get to focus on Detroit all the more. Perhaps you can all take up a collection to keep us distracted. I'm sure a few kegs of beer, delivered conveninently a couple of weeks before competition will do the trick...

B.K.
05-28-2004, 03:36 PM
and Mike forgot to mention that at the very least the University is generous with the parking tickets.

Michael Jones
05-28-2004, 11:07 PM
In true Cornell style, they ticket people more here than I've seen elsewhere and yet Transportation Services still operates at a loss.

I swear this school is heated by a big ass furnace burning $20 bills sometimes.

Daygo Nighthawk
05-29-2004, 02:14 AM
Congrats Cornell, as always the car looked pretty well built.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B.K.:
and Mike forgot to mention that at the very least the University is generous with the parking tickets. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The trend seems to follow you around, Ben.
I met you when you dropped by UC San Diego.
Our team racked up a good pile of parking tickets building our car;
making UCSD transportation services our #1 team unsponsor.
They also wanted something like $1600 to rent out HALF a parking lot for one day on the weekend....
"And no tire marks over the parking space lines"

We're having a Team Sponsor Drive-and-BBQ day sometime after finals, feel free to drop by and check out the car in its completed state.

Michael Jones
05-29-2004, 03:17 PM
Yes, Ben is very contagious. Invite him to the BBQ, but maintain safe distance and wear respirators at all times since at peak times the contagion can be airborne. And for God's sake, don't shake his hand - you have no idea where that's been.

Angry Joe
05-31-2004, 04:09 PM
Stop me when this sounds familiar -

You pay an obscene amount of money to go to school. You did the math and they take in enough money every two years to buy a brand new nuclear submarine. Yet every time you turn around you have to pay for something because they "don't have the resources"

The way Lehigh is run makes me ashamed to be an alumni. The only donations I will ever make will be directly to the FSAE team...

95M3Racer
06-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Thats the spirit! I wish more alumni JUST backed FSAE teams instead of giving millions to the school that will build something that wont do much. Imagine if every fsae team even got 1/100th of a normal "large" alumni donation, we would probably need several Formula SAE events in the US to handle the extra entries http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Considering so much R&D with third party companies are associated with FSAE teams, its publicity and market value would be pretty good for a 100mil/yr company to invest $25K into a team, or even a waterjett machine donation or something of the sort http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Chase
06-01-2004, 08:53 PM
That is refreshing to say the least and here i was assuming that our school was the only one to make half it's fiscal budget off of the exponetial growth parking ticket fines. If i could have only spent more time looking at some of the cars out there things would have been nicer. Detroit seemed to be very rushed and I didn't have the amount of time, or didn't allow myself the time, to go tinkering around at what some of the other teams had that could have been classified as extremely innovative and beneficial.

Brakes 2005 Auburn

Angry Joe
06-02-2004, 09:19 AM
We have a pretty good tradition of Alumni staying involved with the team. Competition is almost a reunion, there were a number of guys there this year and I was dissapointed I couldn't make it.

I know quite a few people who are so disgruntled with Lehigh's behavior they are donating directly to their respective clubs and groups.

I should clarify that the mechanical engineering department is very supportive of us, and helped us with direct donations and getting sponsors. Lehigh in general, however, treats clubs and sports that are not varsity in an insulting manner. The dance team has to pay their own way to competiton and has no facilities of any kind - even though they perform at numerous sporting events. The band is treated like second-class citizens. FSAE tried to become a club a while back. We requested $20,000 and were generously granted $300. I could go on but I don't want this to take up 10 pages...

Anyway at least angriness loves company http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Chris Davin
06-22-2004, 11:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Angry Joe:
Stop me when this sounds familiar -

You pay an obscene amount of money to go to school. You did the math and they take in enough money every two years to buy a brand new nuclear submarine. Yet every time you turn around you have to pay for something because they "don't have the resources"

The way Lehigh is run makes me ashamed to be an alumni. The only donations I will ever make will be directly to the FSAE team... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. I think I'll get a decent education from Cornell, but when it comes to money they are total assholes. Tuition just went up another 5% for next year - $30,000, not including room, board, or books. When I graduate I will make it very clear to them that they are NOT to call me and ask me for money. I will have no problem giving money to the FSAE team, though.

But even the quality of my education would be far less had I not taken the initiative and joined the FSAE team. And since Cornell does so little to support our program, I can't really give much of the credit for my FSAE experience to them either. Needless to say, I will be happy when I can stop writing checks to them.

Rob Davies
06-23-2004, 01:10 AM
$30,000 dollars wow ! you guys should head to England.. You wont get it as cheap as us Brits but its still below half that price for the rest of the world.

leclercjs
06-23-2004, 03:37 PM
HEHE,

here in Montreal, 1000$ Canadian for one session and approx. 500$ for books!! Overall, 3000$ and you have a year in one of the biggest engineering school in Canada!!!

Hey you guys from Cornell, it is only 5hrs up north!!! (We sure will appreciate some help from you guys http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

Hope to see you next semester!!!

Didier Beaudoin
06-24-2004, 06:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by leclercjs:
HEHE,

here in Montreal, 1000$ Canadian for one session and approx. 500$ for books!! Overall, 3000$ and you have a year in one of the biggest engineering school in Canada!!!

Hey you guys from Cornell, it is only 5hrs up north!!! (We sure will appreciate some help from you guys http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

Hope to see you next semester!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The courses are in French though, but I won't tell it too loud... http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif