Spinto
02-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Who is running the SXV motor??

Dewi Griffiths
02-28-2013, 11:41 AM
We are!

cal_len1
02-28-2013, 11:46 AM
South Dakota School of Mines and Tech still uses the Aprilia.

Spinto
02-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Thanks...i only have 3 left

cal_len1
02-28-2013, 12:41 PM
My advisor just informed me you called. However, we do not have the funds this year to purchase one a new engine. In the next year or two it is possible, but as of this year we cannot purchase one.

Leibi
02-28-2013, 02:00 PM
We are ;-)
University of Erlangen in Frankonia

BimmerBey
03-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Do you have any more information on this engine? I want to go with a 2 cylinder this year and just need some more specs to convince my team mates (primarily weight of entire engine, and peak hp and torque through 20mm restrictor). Thanks

cal_len1
03-04-2013, 03:17 PM
I weighed ours the other day at 33 kg. If you can get a good tune 60-70hp and 70lb*ft are possible. There are teams like Erlangen who make 78 hp with high compression pistons.

BimmerBey
03-04-2013, 04:00 PM
That's really good hp numbers. Actually just assuming 70hp peak this makes a better power to weight ratio than our current yfz450 set up. That weight is including the tranny correct?

cal_len1
03-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Weight is engine and transmission combo with a small amount of fluid. Although I will say expecting that much hp in the first couple is not that realistic. The aprilia is a great engine when you figure it out. However the bane of the aprilia is and will always be reliability if you don't do everything perfect.

Leibi
03-05-2013, 01:00 AM
Hi,
the Ape has a very bad reputation, which is particularly justified. Before You decide to use it, read the Ape forum by AF1Racing to see, what will or can happen.
Also new engines bought in the last two years come directly from the Aprilia plant with wron assembled oil seals, metal flakes in the cases due to careless cleaning and forgotten Loctite on some important bolts.
If You have all the the assembling problems by Aprilia fixed and overwork some parts it is a really nice and realiable engine. But this may take some years...
We use it since 2009 and hope to have all the teething troubles fixed. One year ago I would have said, that we have all fixed, but the Ape is always good for something new ;-)

Spinto
03-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by cal_len1:
My advisor just informed me you called. However, we do not have the funds this year to purchase one a new engine. In the next year or two it is possible, but as of this year we cannot purchase one.

Thanks for posting. I know they aren't cheap, but they do have a great power to weight ratio!!

Olitecnic
06-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Hello there!

I belong to a new team in Spain and we are considering to use this engine. Has anybody got any CAD file of it? I seem unable to find any -there were some links in this forum, but they are dead.

Regards http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mbirt
06-26-2013, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Olitecnic:
I belong to a new team in Spain and we are considering to use this engine. I don't believe I am the first to say that a new team should probably not go with this engine. I can think of at least two mid-tier teams that made the switch from the Ape to 450 cc singles this year and both were glad they did it.

Will your team have the resources to fully disassemble and correctly rebuild brand new engines? Will 65 hp be faster in acceleration and autocross than 55 hp? Can you find replacement parts and can you afford them when you do find them? These are questions your team should think hard about before choosing an engine.

MCoach
06-26-2013, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Leibi:
Hi,
the Ape has a very bad reputation, which is particularly justified. Before You decide to use it, read the Ape forum by AF1Racing to see, what will or can happen.
Also new engines bought in the last two years come directly from the Aprilia plant with wron assembled oil seals, metal flakes in the cases due to careless cleaning and forgotten Loctite on some important bolts.
If You have all the the assembling problems by Aprilia fixed and overwork some parts it is a really nice and realiable engine. But this may take some years...
We use it since 2009 and hope to have all the teething troubles fixed. One year ago I would have said, that we have all fixed, but the Ape is always good for something new ;-)

If sketchy building from the factory doesn't scare you, the required rebuild by amateurs should.