PDA

View Full Version : Possible Reduced Dealer Price for Aprilia SXV/RXV Engine

Richmond
01-29-2008, 06:42 PM
I know there is a lot of interest in the Aprilia engine. I am trying to get an idea about how many of teams would be interested in purchasing an engine at a reduced dealer price and/or possibly with a simulation data package tailored to the needs of a FSAE team. If you would please be specific as to the type of engine you would use (550cc or 450cc, rxv or sxv), a conservative estimate as to how many engines you would be interested in purchasing, and what type of spare parts would you be interested in purchasing, I would love to hear your feedback.

Regards,
Andy Richmond

civicsit
01-30-2008, 02:46 AM
We would be interested in seeing what type of deal you would be able to get. We would need 2-3 engines initially with one engine year after that. Also would need some common spare parts such as gaskets, etc.
As for the type, we would want the sxv550. We would want them just as a crate motor since we really wouldn't want to pay extra for any work that we could do ourselves.

Also, what type of simulation data are you talking about?

Keep us posted.

fart can
01-30-2008, 03:24 AM
We'd want at least 2 engines with 2 head gaskets, 4 clutch kits, a valve shim kit, two voltage regulators, ignition coils if not provided, and ignition coil sub-harness. If the engines weigh roughly the same then we'd want the 550.

And we would buy another engine the following year.

Richmond
01-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Currently I am working on a business model that would allow me to source these engines in such a way that I could provide a better value for FSAE teams. By "better value" I am thinking about a reduced price or simulation data package or some combination of both.

With regards to simulation data, currently I am considering offering the
cam lobe profile data, cylinder head flow data and basic geometry, as well
as basic specifications. Essentially all the information you need to get
a WAVE or GT Power model up and running with accurate enough data to
design your gas exchange systems.

As well as simulation data, I am considering offering a detailed CAD model
obtained via a laser scanner or Faro arm.

Conor
01-30-2008, 01:56 PM
I'd say our team is interested, but we definetely need to have a ball park figure before we say we truly want one.

Yellow Ranger
01-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Same with us. Let me know when you get an estimate.

Richmond
01-30-2008, 10:19 PM
FYI - the 07 rxv/sxv has been discontinued as a result of a modification/redesign and is no longer available and the 08 model I am told is more expensive. Any price I may quote will be based on the 08 model unless otherwise specified.

Michael Hart
01-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Depending on the cost and what all is included in the computer simulation, we might be interested

our 01 yamaha R6 is a great package, but its getting harder and harder to find 99-02 R6 motors that are neither junkers nor still attached to bikes, and the sxv550 seems like a very attractive alternative

LS1FC3
02-04-2008, 10:47 PM
We are interested in running the SVX550 for 08-09. We would likely buy two.

mjdavidson
02-05-2008, 02:45 PM
We would be interested in buying 1 SXV 550 as soon as possible and probably another one during the summer.

Conor
02-06-2008, 10:16 AM
What are most teams getting this engine for?

Yellow Ranger
02-08-2008, 03:58 PM
What all does this include? ECU, harness- or is it just the motor itself?

sbrenaman
02-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Has there been any developments in the last 2 years regarding this?

Yellow Ranger
02-04-2010, 10:46 PM
*cough* Richmond sucks *cough*

EPMAl
02-05-2010, 01:07 AM
We are already running the aprilia sxv 550 07 but we blew one up last summer and depending on the price, we might be interested in buying one. A little information for teams new to the Aprilia, the sxv and rxv model have some small differences, including the output shaft on the sxv longer than on the rxv, so you probably can't exchange one model for the other one in your car (need two enginse from the same model if one engine is use as a spare).

D Collins Jr
02-05-2010, 09:18 AM
First, I'm not sure Andy's still in the engine selling business. Second, sbrenaman, there appear to be two Aprilia dealers in Portland (Fisher Powersports Inc., 808 NW 23rd Ave and Tonkin Motocorsa, 2170 NW Wilson St). I'd go with them. We used Richmond to get our first Aprilia, and it was a pain (largely due to a inability to accept the payment our school can use). If memory serves me, we waited about three months after delivering a check before our engine arrived. I now know that they can be sent quicker. If your school is ok with doing PayPal, then Andy might be able to help you out better. Now we use a local dealer to get our engines, and most replacement parts. He's also been able to help out with servicing the engines and teaching us about them. Those intangibles can't be substituted. You can probably get as good or better of a price from a local dealer, and form a relationship that will be beneficial to your engine development.

My point being, if you're interested in using an Ape, go to the dealers in town, talk to them, develop a relationship, and then run an RXV. Also, don't feel compelled to make internal modifications right off the bat! That's why most of these engines wind up having reliability issues.

Spinto
03-23-2010, 07:17 AM
I have SXV motors for sale...2008 . They're still in their crates...

tyler AT motocorp DOT ca

Adambomb
03-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Hmm, surprised I didn't notice this before. One of our alumni worked out a deal already long long ago with a dealer and made it available...haven't seen any mention of it here yet, so may as well link it:

http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/t...68/m/19210732631/p/1 (http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/412600868/m/19210732631/p/1)

Tushar Vahal
05-14-2013, 04:52 AM
Its a bit late to ask, but do you still have the motors. If you do please mail me the details on tushar.vahal92@gmail.com

Regards
Tushar

Originally posted by Spinto:
I have SXV motors for sale...2008 . They're still in their crates...

tyler AT motocorp DOT ca