PDA

View Full Version : magnesium

Ben Beacock
02-05-2005, 08:29 AM
Our shop tech just found a large 3/4" slab of magnesium alloy for us (if we want it). I've found specs for it and such, but having never used or designed for magnesium are there things I should watch out for? Things I shouldn't use it for? (i'm thinking rocker arms)

Ben Beacock
02-05-2005, 08:29 AM
Our shop tech just found a large 3/4" slab of magnesium alloy for us (if we want it). I've found specs for it and such, but having never used or designed for magnesium are there things I should watch out for? Things I shouldn't use it for? (i'm thinking rocker arms)

Frank
02-05-2005, 09:30 AM
conducting a tensile test would be a good idea, to help you identify the alloy

Schulberg J
02-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Depending on the alloy it could either be very weak or quite strong, corrode very easily, or not corrode to bad and it is always not stiff. If you are going to machine it, from what I have heard not from experiance, you have to take big fast cuts to keep the chips large (so the chips dont ignite). You also shouldnt use water coolant as the mag reacts with the hydrogen in water, think fire. The new Race Car Eng. has a pretty decent article on mag. I agree with Frank. I wouldnt design with it unless i knew what alloy it is.

good luck
Jason
Cal Poly SLO