PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Harness Mountings

markocosic
01-25-2007, 04:06 AM
Hey all,

Shoulder harness mountings, and in particular these bits fo rule 3.4.1 (F):

The shoulder harness must be mounted behind the driver to structure that meets the requirements of 3.3.3. However, it cannot be mounted to the Main Roll Hoop Bracing or attendant structure without additional
bracing to prevent loads being transferred into the Main Hoop Bracing. The shoulder harness mounting points must be between 178 mm (7 inches) and 229 mm (9 inches) apart. From the driver's shoulders rearwards to the mounting point or structural guide, the shoulder harness must be between 10 degrees above the horizontal and 20 degrees below the horizontal.

In order to meet the +10 to -20 degree rule with different sized drivers, we are currently mounting the 'cross beam' for the shoulder harnesses on the main roll hoop bracing, but the rules aren't immediately obvious.

We're trying to triple-scrutineer everything before setting it in stone and I'm reading "additional bracing to prevent loads being transferred into the Main Hoop Bracing" as "additional bracing to prevent bending loads being transferred into the Main Hoop Bracing." Ie - a cross-beam on the main hoop bracing, plus two 'forward stays' from the ends of that cross-beam down to either where the main hoops joins the upper side-impact beams or an engine mounting. (probably the chassis rather than the engine) Technically this will transfer tensile loads into the rear roll hoop bracing in a crash.

Anybody already asked the rules people this question/what they mean? I'd like to not harass/clarify/nitpick too much! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Plan (B) is a main-hoop mounted shoulder-bar with multiple positions, though I've not seen this in any of my photos. Ever been done?

Plan (C) is meet what is inspected at the competition (ie - only the driver sizes presented for harness angles) and seems valid if not in the spirit of the rules.

Thanks!

markocosic
01-25-2007, 04:06 AM
Hey all,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The shoulder harness must be mounted behind the driver to structure that meets the requirements of 3.3.3. However, it cannot be mounted to the Main Roll Hoop Bracing or attendant structure without additional
bracing to prevent loads being transferred into the Main Hoop Bracing. The shoulder harness mounting points must be between 178 mm (7 inches) and 229 mm (9 inches) apart. From the driver's shoulders rearwards to the mounting point or structural guide, the shoulder harness must be between 10 degrees above the horizontal and 20 degrees below the horizontal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In order to meet the +10 to -20 degree rule with different sized drivers, we are currently mounting the 'cross beam' for the shoulder harnesses on the main roll hoop bracing, but the rules aren't immediately obvious.

We're trying to triple-scrutineer everything before setting it in stone and I'm reading "additional bracing to prevent loads being transferred into the Main Hoop Bracing" as "additional bracing to prevent bending loads being transferred into the Main Hoop Bracing." Ie - a cross-beam on the main hoop bracing, plus two 'forward stays' from the ends of that cross-beam down to either where the main hoops joins the upper side-impact beams or an engine mounting. (probably the chassis rather than the engine) Technically this will transfer tensile loads into the rear roll hoop bracing in a crash.

Anybody already asked the rules people this question/what they mean? I'd like to not harass/clarify/nitpick too much! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Plan (B) is a main-hoop mounted shoulder-bar with multiple positions, though I've not seen this in any of my photos. Ever been done?

Plan (C) is meet what is inspected at the competition (ie - only the driver sizes presented for harness angles) and seems valid if not in the spirit of the rules.

Thanks!

markocosic
01-25-2007, 04:09 AM
Picture with the two 'forward stay' options in black:

http://www.cosic.org.uk/misc/shoulder.jpg

rjwoods77
01-25-2007, 05:53 AM
Yessssssss. Dude-2 human model!!!! I would go with the one connected at the firewall. But why dont you just toss this same question to the judges. They will answer quick enough.

Thomas C
02-06-2010, 03:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by markocosic:
Hey all,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The shoulder harness must be mounted behind the driver to structure that meets the requirements of 3.3.3. However, it cannot be mounted to the Main Roll Hoop Bracing or attendant structure without additional
bracing to prevent loads being transferred into the Main Hoop Bracing. The shoulder harness mounting points must be between 178 mm (7 inches) and 229 mm (9 inches) apart. From the driver's shoulders rearwards to the mounting point or structural guide, the shoulder harness must be between 10 degrees above the horizontal and 20 degrees below the horizontal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did anyone find out anymore info on this rule as I'm currently waiting for a reply from FSUK.