PDA

View Full Version : New Carbon Fiber Fabric

a.fsae.intec
07-14-2011, 07:07 AM
Hey, guys I'm from a new team that's in the Dominican Republic, we plan to attend on 2012 to Michigan. I leave you here the link of a Swedish company that has a revolutionary carbon fiber fabric. I hope that it's useful for you guys.

www.oxeon.se (http://www.oxeon.se)

Regards,

Alejandro

a.fsae.intec
07-14-2011, 07:07 AM
Hey, guys I'm from a new team that's in the Dominican Republic, we plan to attend on 2012 to Michigan. I leave you here the link of a Swedish company that has a revolutionary carbon fiber fabric. I hope that it's useful for you guys.

www.oxeon.se (http://www.oxeon.se)

Regards,

Alejandro

cvargas
07-21-2011, 03:05 PM
That is interesting. I'd like to learn more about the cons of this fabric.

Ben K
07-21-2011, 03:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Santorican:
That is interesting. I'd like to learn more about the cons of this fabric. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The jist of this stuff is they are achieving a higher volume fraction of the fiber by using cfrp tape rather than yarn.

Super high volume fraction isn't always a good thing--i'd be interested in getting more technical specs on it--but for now it seems like an interesting find.

Ben

Luniz
07-21-2011, 04:32 PM
We have been using this fabric for the second year now, so I can provide some first hand experiences:

1.) The stuff is great for laminating foam core sandwich composites, you don't need as much for achieving the same stiffness as with normal twill

2.) It looks awesome ;-)

3.) TeXtreme only comes as dry fabric, no prepregs available

4.) The drapability of the dry fabric is similar to that of a sheet of paper: one-dimensional bends are ok, but bumps, dents or spherical shapes are next to impossible to laminate

5.) because the fibres are so densely packed in this tape, you have to be very careful to infiltrate them with resin. Vacuum is a must, otherwise you'll end up with bits that haven't been properly infused.

Ben K
07-21-2011, 05:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luniz:
We have been using this fabric for the second year now, so I can provide some first hand experiences:

1.) The stuff is great for laminating foam core sandwich composites, you don't need as much for achieving the same stiffness as with normal twill

2.) It looks awesome ;-)

3.) TeXtreme only comes as dry fabric, no prepregs available

4.) The drapability of the dry fabric is similar to that of a sheet of paper: one-dimensional bends are ok, but bumps, dents or spherical shapes are next to impossible to laminate

5.) because the fibres are so densely packed in this tape, you have to be very careful to infiltrate them with resin. Vacuum is a must, otherwise you'll end up with bits that haven't been properly infused. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does it have a lower shear properties?

Ben