PDA

View Full Version : Good place to buy wheel bearings?

Brian C.
11-07-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm trying to find a good place to buy wheel bearings. We're looking to use a single double row angular contact ball bearing inside our upright. It seems like FAG has good bearings, but what other options are there?

Brian C.
11-07-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm trying to find a good place to buy wheel bearings. We're looking to use a single double row angular contact ball bearing inside our upright. It seems like FAG has good bearings, but what other options are there?

Ben K
11-07-2011, 08:23 PM
SKF and Timken make good bearings.

Ben

Adambomb
11-07-2011, 08:45 PM
I haven't worked with them in the last year, but Timken has been a strong supporter of FSAE in the past. Dig around, call around, and you could get a hookup.

swong46
11-07-2011, 10:00 PM
I remember last year we contacted Timken and they said they give FSAE teams up to $200 worth of free bearings, but she never kept in touch with us...

rehmann
11-09-2011, 02:59 PM
I would definately go with Timken.
They are the top when it comes to bearings.
I suggest getting them from mibearings.com (http://mibearings.com), you'll have to call them for something like this though.

coastertrav
11-09-2011, 05:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by swong46:
I remember last year we contacted Timken and they said they give FSAE teams up to $200 worth of free bearings, but she never kept in touch with us... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not the sponsor's job to keep up with you. That's an important thing to learn. You are the one that needs something, so keep on them till you get it.

We use timkin, and from what I've gathered double row angular contact are going to be way heavier and more robust than you need. I know in the past we've used tapered roller bearings with good luck, not sure what we're going with this year though. (Coming from the only EE on the team, but I've been around for a few years).

swong46
11-09-2011, 05:55 PM
No we did, they just never reply back. It is a thing you have to learn though, I agree.

Brian C.
11-12-2011, 07:31 PM
I've been busy with schoolwork, but thanks for all the great responses!

We were thinking about using double row angular contact ball bearings in order to conserve space in the upright. However, would using two single row angular contact ball bearings or one angular ball bearing and one tapered roller bearing be better?