PDA

View Full Version : 600rr water temp resistance values

kapps
04-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Does anyone happen to have the resistance values of the 600rr water temp sensor. I assume it'll be the same as the f4i. Our current setup has a temp sensor in the pipe going to the radiator but it's useless until the thermostat opens. Our engine guys left the stock sensor unplugged because they don't know the resistance curve. Any help would be appreciated.

kapps
04-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Does anyone happen to have the resistance values of the 600rr water temp sensor. I assume it'll be the same as the f4i. Our current setup has a temp sensor in the pipe going to the radiator but it's useless until the thermostat opens. Our engine guys left the stock sensor unplugged because they don't know the resistance curve. Any help would be appreciated.

Dallas Blake
04-20-2007, 06:45 PM
You mentioned that you have a temp sensor in there but that its useless until the thermostat opens, why not put that sensor in the inlet line? we run a GM CLT sensor in our inlet and it measures our temp at all times. We dont use the stock sensor at all.

I know that this isnt what you were asking for but its an idea.

kapps
04-20-2007, 08:10 PM
By inlet line, you mean the other hose coming out of the thermostat housing? I'm actually working blind. This is my first year in FSAE and our team is pretty new. As far as I can tell, nobody before me has done any work on our cooling system so I'm in uncharted waters. I've learned a lot just reading old threads on these forums.

Dallas Blake
04-20-2007, 08:46 PM
sorry, by inlet I meant Inlet to the engine. On the F4 this is the fitting near the base of the cylinders beside the oil pressure switch. You cant place a temperature sensor from outlet of the thermostat because if you place it in the large line it wont read anything aside from ambient until the thermostat opens and if you put it on the small line it wont read anything after the thermostat is open. If you put it on the inlet line it will read always

BStoney
04-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Why not obtain the logrithmic resistance curve yourself via a simple test involving a burner and a beaker of hot water with the thermostat and an external thermometer with their wetted elements submersed?? It is very elementary to do...

Welfares
04-21-2007, 07:01 PM
We drilled out and tapped the hole where the original sensor was in the head and put in a bosch sensor we had all the info for. This was on the R6, but i assume you can do something similar on the RR. Just make sure you tip your engine up so you don't drop swarth in the water jacket.

kapps
04-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the help guys. It looks like I'll have some time to get the cooling system right as it doesn't look like we'll have a running car for the competition this year. We've been having trouble with the motor and finally did a compression and leakdown test on it. 45psi in all cylinders and major leaks around the rings. Today was spent completely tearing the engine down and revealed scored main bearings and the need for a hone on the cylinders as well as new rings. Unless we can find an engine quick, it doesn't look like we're going anywhere.

At least it gives me time to get the cooling system situated and possibly switching to electric water and oil pumps (or a dry sump).

Gasperini
04-22-2007, 04:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BStoney:
Why not obtain the logrithmic resistance curve yourself via a simple test involving a burner and a beaker of hot water with the thermostat and an external thermometer with their wetted elements submersed?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is also my recommendation. Get a DMM, a thermometer, a pan and a stove. You can get a good quality one at a homebrew store, or borrow one from someone on campus.

Scott Borg
04-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Heat a fluid and measure something... sounds like freshman Chemistry or Physics lab to me. Have you tried asking your professors if you can use their lab for an afternoon?

Remember to use something besides water if you want to have accurate data above 100 degrees C. Depending on the pressure rating of your radiator cap, you might want data for 120 C and above.

-s-

Gasperini
04-23-2007, 01:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Remember to use something besides water if you want to have accurate data above 100 degrees C. Depending on the pressure rating of your radiator cap, you might want data for 120 C and above. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Scott, doesn't Ethelyne Glycol boil at 197.3 C?

Chris Boyden
04-23-2007, 07:53 AM
I ran this experiment for the F4i, and
found a 10 degree delta against the stock
honda sensor. You can create a table of equivalent temp readings. The bad part is
it makes things a little confusing for those that come after you unless it's well documented.

Chris Allbee
04-23-2007, 08:28 AM
You can always remove the thermostat element from the housing, basically defaulting it to always open. Just a thought if you wanted to retain the stock sensor and mount and not have to make your own. Of course, this means you will have to do a proper warm-up before you go out and run the piss out of the motor...but such is racing.

kapps
04-23-2007, 02:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allbee:
You can always remove the thermostat element from the housing, basically defaulting it to always open. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats the plan for next year...electric water pump with no thermostat. I'll also test the stock sensor and figure out the resistance values.